Reading the active file that TMG is writing to.

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to read the active log file that TMG is writing to ?

Queries to my colleagues have suggested that this is not possible.

Ultimately, this will come down to whether or not TMG creates the log files for Shared Read access using the appropriate "dwShareMode" parameters.

Having a unix background, it is a little frustrating to have to wait until the log file is "rotated" out before being able to read it.

Cheers,

Brad.

January 7th, 2014 2:52am

Hi,

As far as i know, it is impossible to do that.If you need to check realtime log, why not try to use TMG live logging?

http://www.isaserver.org/articles-tutorials/configuration-general/Microsoft-Forefront-TMG-Logging-options-Forefront-TMG.html

Best Regards

Quan Gu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2014 10:43am

Hi,

As far as i know, it is impossible to do that.If you need to check realtime log, why not try to use TMG live logging?

http://www.isaserver.org/articles-tutorials/configuration-general/Microsoft-Forefront-TMG-Logging-options-Forefront-TMG.html

Best Regards

Quan Gu

January 7th, 2014 10:43am

Thanks for the reply Quan,

As a "consumer" of the logs, I'm not in a position to alter the configuration.

Having worked extensively with Windows, *nix and other operating systems, the default of no-shared-read in Windows is another "feature" to be worked with. One day I hope that Windows application programmers discover the value of allowing log files to be opened for shared reading, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

Cheers,

Brad.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 15th, 2014 5:06am

Thanks for the reply Quan,

As a "consumer" of the logs, I'm not in a position to alter the configuration.

Having worked extensively with Windows, *nix and other operating systems, the default of no-shared-read in Windows is another "feature" to be worked with. One day I hope that Windows application programmers discover the value of allowing log files to be opened for shared reading, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting.

Cheers,

Brad.

• Edited by BradEllis Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:04 AM
January 15th, 2014 1:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics