ReORG causing Transaction log grow in simple mode

sql server 2008 R2 , sp1, 64 bit enterprise edition.

My database is in simple recovery model.

It is a publisher.

While running reorg on a big table , transaction log grows big . 

When I checked sysdatabases during this time log_reuse_wait_desc  is in 'Replicate' ..  VLS's are almost 1000 , they are in status 2 , so not able to shrink. It takes almost 1-2 hrs for replication to catch up and then VLS's reduce.

Initial size of Log file is 2 GB and autogrowth with 1024 MB .

Please advise on how I can tackle this problem.

July 12th, 2013 5:59pm

Hi,

your database is part of replication. the below mentioned workaround might help,

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/34ab68ad-706d-43c4-8def-38c09e3bfc3b/logreusewaitdesc-replication-transaction-log-wont-stop-g

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 12th, 2013 6:19pm

Yes it is
July 12th, 2013 6:28pm

This work around will not work. We have transactional replication and we are having this issue during Reorg process.
July 12th, 2013 6:48pm

Hi,

Did you checked the fragementation of the indexes that you are doing Reorg? For large, heavily fragmented indexes the reorganization operation is much less efficient than the index rebuild operation.

July 12th, 2013 6:58pm

We are doing rebuild and reorg based on fragmentation %. between 10 and 30 reorg , above 30 rebuild.
July 12th, 2013 7:08pm

As mentioned, perhaps reorg isn't optimal for you because of the replication situation! Consider doing rebuilds instead. I think that will be performed as minimally logged operations even with replication in place (but I'm not certain, so test/verify).

July 13th, 2013 3:59pm

Agree with what Tibor said..

Rebuild can use minimally logging to reduce transaction log growth but Reorganize is always fully logged and also doesn't prevent transaction log clearing..more details in 

Technet QA by Paul Randal

July 14th, 2013 1:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics