Randomly disconnected form RDS on Windows 2012

Hi All,

I'm hoping for some assistance as I'm completely out of ideas. All users sessions are randomly being disconnected when connect to Windows 2012 RDS. Users have not reached any limits put on the Server. The only information I have is in the Even log under TerminalServices-LocalSessionManager. What I see is Session 5 has been disconnected, reason code 0. Server is fully licensed, not sure why it keeps disconnecting users randomly. Any help would be appreciated.

January 15th, 2015 7:41pm

Hi,

1. From a client PC, are you able to maintain a continuous ping to the RDSH server (not the broker but the RDSH server if they are separate), without any Request timed outs?  To test this you would open up a command prompt on one of client PCs and run the following command:

ping rdshserver.domain.com -t

2. Are the users connecting using RD Gateway, direct to the server, or both?

3. Is the server running Server 2012 or Server 2012 R2?

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 15th, 2015 7:47pm

Along with what TP is asking. What is your keep alive settings set to in group policy for remote desktop? If your users are external Keep Alive is important because most firewalls will kill TCP sessions. This will force the connection to re-establish.

Do you see any patterns with the disconnects? Also what types of disconnects are they? Does it do a count down and establish to the same session? Or does it flat out disconnect with no reconnection?

January 15th, 2015 7:59pm

Hi,

The disconnects have been random, and I have not been able to identify timing. Though to your point TP, I initated a ping to see if I lost connection at any time. They are connecting directly to the Server, and its Windows 2012 R2.

I have not set Keep-alive as it's all internal, and when they reestablish the connection everything is still there. The window just shuts down. The connection window just closes.

I should also point out that this is not a physical server but a virtual server on VMware

Doery

January 15th, 2015 8:57pm

Currently have a client with similar issue.

They have a Remote Webb App deployment users intermittently and randomly get disconnected. There is no network problem.

Also running VMware virtual server.

Would love to hear any progress on this.

February 9th, 2015 12:13pm

What are your client operating systems? Also are they on the same domain as the servers or different or just workgroups? If the machines are on a domain, try and rule out any domain group policies or controls by attempting a machine in a workgroup and see if you get the same results. Maybe try and take a machine having random disconnects and remove it from the domain or try and remove it from the environment in the case of network content filters.

I had this same issue. Doing VMWARE/Gateways/Session brokers in HA with alwayson and apps published via web. But, any machine different domain or not and all external worked just fine. But, I had one customer that had a few hundred users who would get the flat disconnect without any reconnection attempts. If I looked at RDS logs it showed they initiated the disconnect. I knew my server environment was just fine because other domains and company's didn't have issues. It was isolated to this one customer environment. Sadly I left that company and couldn't root cause it. But, I have seen when RDP gets truly disconnected it will try and reattempt a connection. So, my opinion was something had to send a TCP end to get it to close like that. Or possibly some key patches or hotfixes were missing in that customer environment...

February 9th, 2015 10:08pm

We resolved this by implementing the Keep Alive settings via GPO and also changing the disconnection settings.

July 1st, 2015 10:43am

Hi,

I suggest you configure keep alive setting to see whether it resolves your issues, too.

More information for you:

Connections

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731606(v=ws.10).aspx

[Forum FAQ] Restrict number of Active Sessions in RDS 2012 and 2012 R2

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/00c2252b-8ec0-489f-8da2-07a434a9b5a2/forum-faq-restrict-number-of-active-sessions-in-rds-2012-and-2012-r2?forum=winserverTS

Best Regards,

Amy

July 1st, 2015 11:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics