Raising Domain Functional / Forest Functional Levels

Hi guys,

I've upgraded my AD servers to Windows 2012 and have removed all the Windows 2003 servers in my network.

However, I wish to implement fine grained password policy. However, my Forest and Domain Functional levels are still at 2003. The minimum requirement for fine grained password policy states that the domain functional level must be set to Windows Server 2008 or higher.

How do I go about raising the Forest / Domain functional level? Which functional level should I raise first (the forest or domain)? Will there be any downtime and implications if I were to perform the raise?

Thanks guys!!

February 8th, 2015 9:07pm

Hi guys,

I've upgraded my AD servers to Windows 2012 and have removed all the Windows 2003 servers in my network.

However, I wish to implement fine grained password policy. However, my Forest and Domain Functional levels are still at 2003. The minimum requirement for fine grained password policy states that the domain functional level must be set to Windows Server 2008 or higher.

How do I go about raising the Forest / Domain functional level? Which functional level should I raise first (the forest or domain)? Will there be any downtime and implications if I were to perform the raise?

Thanks guys!!

There will be no downtime when raising your Domain Functional Level or Forest Functional Level.

All you need to know is that by raising your DFL to Windows Server 2008 or higher, you will not be able to set it back to Windows Server 2003 without a recovery from backup (This is not a reversible operation without restore). Also, you will need to have DCs that are running OSs with the same level as your DFL or higher.

If you are not planning to add DCs that are running OSs lower than Windows Server 2012 then simply raise your DFL and FFL to Windows Server 2012. FYI, as long as you have not enabled AD recycle Bin, you can downgrade the DFL and FFL to Windows Server 2008.

More about the benefits you can take by raising your DFL and FFL here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/understanding-active-directory-functional-levels(v=ws.10).aspx

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 9th, 2015 3:54am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics