RSM Service not stopping after NTBACKUP
Hello, We have a problem on one of our Domain Controllers. We perform a systemstate backup of Active Directory each evening using NTBACKUP in which we backup to the local hard drive. There is also legato installed on the server which backups up userdata held on another drive to an external tape drive. The RSM Service (Remote Storage Manager) is set to a manual status. When the SS Backup is performed each evening by ntbackup, the RSM Service starts, but when the backup finishes the service doesnt stop as expected. I have tested on a load of other servers and they dont have this problem, when the SS is performed, the RSM Service stops. Any ideas on what is happening? I have rebuilt the RSM database and also compared registry entries of the service to a working service but i still cannot find any reason why it is behaving like this. We need the RSM Service stopped when Legato backups up otherwise the Legato backup fails. I suggested disabling the RSM service completely but my boss wants it to stay enabled. Any idea's?
November 19th, 2009 7:25pm

Hello UKZNMCL,To isolate the influence of any third party application, I would like to suggest you perform a clean boot of the problematic server to test. Step1 : Perform a Clean Boot 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. Restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK".Meanwhile, please also set RSM service to Auto status. You may test to see if it will stop after you use NTBackup.Hope this can be helpful.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 20th, 2009 9:34am

Hi, I am unable to perform the clean boot bit as the server is a live production server. I tried changing the service to Automatic but still no go, the RSM Service doesnt stop after perfoming a SS Backup
November 20th, 2009 2:00pm

Hi Ukznmcl,I would suggest you test the behavior in clean boot as suggested by David because your 3rd party application dll plays an important role and chances of the intervension of the dll is pretty high.so you have to take the down time and perform the action.
November 21st, 2009 4:02pm

Hello, As I mentioned earlier getting downtime for this server is very hard as it in use 24x7 so i am unable to :(
November 22nd, 2009 10:53pm

Hi UNZNMCL, Thanks for the reply. I deeply understand your concern. If the technical issue is very urgent, to efficiently troubleshoot this problem, I would like to suggest that you contact local Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) for this issue. You can speak directly with a Microsoft Support Professional to analyze the problem in order to resolve the issue more efficiently. You may obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS Hope the issue will be resolved soon.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
November 23rd, 2009 8:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics