RRAS on VM

Hello!

I have to make NAT for ~50 users with ~10000 active connections.

I have IBM x3530 M4 server with Intel Xeon E5-2407, two Intel I350 NICs, 4Gb  RAM and 2x500Gb RAID1 7.2K SATA drives and few questions:

1. This hardware will be enougth?

2. 10000 active connections is ok for RRAS or better purchase hardware router (Cisco, Juniper, etc)?

3. RRAS on Hyper-V VM is ok or better install it bare-metal?

Thank's!

April 20th, 2015 1:10pm

Hi,

>>1. This hardware will be enougth?

It's hard to say. It depends on the total throughput. Normally, it should be enough for 50 users.

>>2. 10000 active connections is ok for RRAS or better purchase hardware router (Cisco, Juniper, etc)?

By projecting network traffic and routing needs based on the number and types of hardware devices and applications used in your environment, you can better decide whether to use a dedicated hardware router, a software-based router, or a combination of both.

Generally, dedicated hardware routers handle heavier routing demands best, whereas less expensive software-based routers are sufficient for handling lighter routing loads.

A software-based routing solution, such as RRAS, can be ideal on a small, segmented network with relatively light traffic between subnets.

Conversely, enterprise network environments that have a large number of subnets and a wide range of performance requirements might need a variety of hardware-based routers to perform different roles throughout the network.

>>3. RRAS on Hyper-V VM is ok or better install it bare-metal?

Bare-metal is more efficiency and Hyper-V VM is less expensive.

Best Regards.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2015 8:11am

Ok, thank's, but better / higher is not actually technical characteristics.

Is there any calculators or something like that to clarify perfomance ambit of RRAS?

May 12th, 2015 2:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics