RRAS VPN server and remote AAA with FreeRadius
Dear Sir I'm using windows server 2008 r2 (RRAS) as VPN server ,It doesn't have any problem when uses built-in users but when I connect it to remote AAA ser ver(FreeRadius) it doesn't work and my clients side returns error 718 I don't use NPS and IAS as my radius server I add IP address of my radius server in security tab of properties of RRAS I want to know what's the problem ?is RRAS incompatible with vendor radius server and just works fine with IAS ? or there are some misconfiguration in my vpn setup ? Thank you
July 11th, 2011 10:39am

RRAS works just fine with any radius server as long as the radius server supports the authentication method your VPN clients are configured to use and the RRAS server is allowed to send authentication requests to the radius server. Have you checked any logs on your RRAS and radius server? /Hasain
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 11th, 2011 2:47pm

Hi Abulolow, Thank you for your post. Please check this blog article: 718 The connection timed out waiting for a valis response from the remote computer If you have a third-party VPN server which does not support MS-CHAPv2 as an authentication method and supports only MS-CHAPv1, you will need to use either CHAP or PAP to connect from the Windows Vista VPN client until the server you use starts supporting MS-CHAPv2. Steps to follow for resolution: (1) Check if the Routing and Remote Access Server (RRAS) is configured to allow connections with MS-CHAPv2 (2) Check if the RADIUS server policy supports MSCHAPv2 (This step is needed if you control access to clients using Remote Access Policies on the IAS/NPS server) If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know.Regards, Rick Tan
July 12th, 2011 6:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics