RPC Server unavailable (Remote Desktop, Server 2003)
I'm having an issue with 2003 server and remote desktop. It will work fine but occasionally we will get kicked out (saying the connection to the server was lost etc) and when we try to log back in it says RPC server unavailable, if we leave it a few hours we can usually log in by the next day or so. I've checked out KB555839 and the services all seem like they are in order. Any suggestions?
November 16th, 2010 2:29pm

Hello, let's start to exclude DNS as a problem, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS of the domain, the Terminal server and the client you are logging on from.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 17th, 2010 3:08am

Hi, I would like to confirm that if this is a Terminal Server? In addition to the suggestions “Meinolf Weber” provided, I also would like to suggest you perform the following troubleshooting suggestions. 1. Make sure that the following services are enabled and started: Computer browser Secondary logon 2. Create a DWORD Key, IgnoreRegUserConfigErrors = 1 under the following registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server 3. Check if the following hotfix can fix the issue for you: FIX: The Terminal Services service stops responding in Windows Server 2003 and you receive an "The RPC service is unavailable" error message when you try to connect to the terminal server by using the Remote Desktop Connection program http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883670 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 17th, 2010 4:20am

The DNS server for the machine we are using to dial in is 192.168.1.2, this is also a 2008 server. The IP address of the 2003 server with the RDS issue is 192.168.1.113 The 2003 server is not a terminal server. I mentioned I checked the services and they all seem fine. SP1 is already installed on this machine.
November 17th, 2010 10:46am

Hi, Do you have any firewall or other security programs installed? If so, please temporarily disable them and test the issue in Clean Boot. For the detailed steps of how to perform a Clean Boot environment, please refer to the following steps: 1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER. 2. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password or click Continue. 3. On the General tab, click Selective startup. 4. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load startup items check box. 5. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all. 6. Click OK, and then click Restart. What is the result in Clean Boot? Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 22nd, 2010 4:08am

I managed to solve this by using 2 other 3rd party products.
December 23rd, 2010 7:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics