RIS across 2 networks? (Server 2k3 SP2)
(i dont see a forum for 2K3 as i know its no longer a supported OS but i dont have the $$ to build a new Server with a x64 Processor) ok i got a old Server PC for 80$ at the local PC repair shop (i replaced a few thinsg includin ram) it came w/ a copy of server 2003 i updated it to SP2 i got WDS working in mixed mode (RIS and WDS) and RIS is a godsend i tweak w/ my old XP PC's way too much and tend to break the OS, and now i dont need to worry if the pc's dvd drive is dying when its havng a hard time readin the disc. Anywho.... its setup like this: NIC1: (RIS/WDS) IP: 192.168.3.1 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: (blank) DNS: (set to internal IP as DNS server Role is installed) -------------------- NIC2: Internet IP: Auto via DHCP on Net connection subnet: 255.255.254.0 (i have U-verse and the Residental Gateway has the subnet set to 255.255.254.0) DNS: set to Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) i know it'd be far more secure to Close the internet connection when not needed, and yea the only real time it needs it is for updates. However,the Main workstation PC (this one im on now)is connected to the "RG (residental Gateway)", what im wondering how If possible can i set it so this Workstation as is can receive connections from the server to test changes in images via VMWare (i'd switch to using the VirtualPC vers that was built from for Windows XP Mode if i could make it PXE Boot) the network is like this Workstation 1 ->Wireless - > RG Port 1 Windows server 2K3 PC -> RIS Nic-> DD-WRT Enabled Linksys WRT54G -> Client PC's Windows Server 2K3 PC -> Internet NIC -> RG Port 3 U-Verse STB -> RG Port 2 (the STB's use Eithernet or Coax for Input and its set for Eithernet) this would make it easier so im not moving PC's around or running More long cat5 cables across the place.
May 14th, 2011 11:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics