RE: Server management and Event Log
Hi, I installed the Wind2k8 Beta 3 on Virtual PC 2007 Beta, I found out there is no add or remove program in the control panel. I also try to open the event log and server management console but it seem no response. I wanted to install IIS 7.0 on it but fail to do so, i assume have to do it in server management. Any idea thanks ?
June 25th, 2007 5:26am

In Server Manager, click "Add Roles" and select IIS 7.0. How much memory did you give your server? At least 1 GB is recommended otherwise it'll seem sluggish.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2007 10:42am

I tried click on server manager but nothing appear. I gave the virtual PC for 1.2 GB ram. Itz cause by virtual PC 2007 is not stable?
June 25th, 2007 7:22pm

I also face another problem not sure is related. When I start the windows, it pop up "Windows Initial Configuration Task has stopped working", does this hint anything?
June 25th, 2007 7:25pm

I'm running beta3 on a virtual machine with 768 mb ramusing virtual server 2005, it runs slow but it works... The initial configuration task is where you can set the administrator password, change system settings,... All of these tasks you can still configure later on too, try running the command "CompMgmtLauncher.exe", from there on you can add roles, features, and do other tasks the initial configuration task provides. The "add/remove software" has been replaced by "programs and features".
June 26th, 2007 1:10am

Virtual PC will give you slighter worse performance compared to Virtual Server, but 1.2 GB of ram should be enough. What CPU do you have?
June 26th, 2007 2:47pm

I tried CompMgmtLauncher but it seem still nothing appear on the screen. I already switfch from Virtual PC 2007 to Virtual Server 2005 R1 and reinstall the OS. Same problem still occuer.... anyway, what version you guy using? I am using enterprise... I have a P4 3.0 with 2GB ram and i configure the OS to run in 1.1 GB ram
June 27th, 2007 3:13am

That should be enough. I'm running a laptop with a dualcore cpu and give my Ent. 2008 1 GB of RAM. Works flawlessly even under VPC. I have a 7200 RPM disk, could be that performance. Have you looked in perfmon to see what your machine halts on? The server manager error shouldn't occur anyway, it just takes a little longer.
June 27th, 2007 9:29am

In Beta 3 there are some bugs with OOBE.exe (ICT) and Server Manager where they would hang or crash. To install roles and features you can also try ServerManagerCmd.exe from the command line. As for running with 768MB of Ram, there is a way to optimize WS08 andVistafor VMs in a non production environment. The guide will be ready Monday. I always prefer Virtual Server over Virtual PC. You can install Virtual Server on Vista or WS08. If you want it to run in the web you need to make sure you have Windows Authentication, CGI, and IIS 6 Management installed or with out web,All you need to do is select to do a custom installation, uncheck the option for the Virtual Server Web Application and complete the installation. This option will also let you install it on Server Core. To manage your VMs useVMRC Plus.
July 4th, 2007 8:10pm

Yes, i already converted to virtual server 2008 R2 but the same problem still exist the problem still exists. I will try servermanagercmd.exe later and let u know the feedback. About the guide, can you provide me the links when it's ready? Thak you
July 6th, 2007 2:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics