RD Virtualization Host Configuration Failed on...

Yesterday I successfully added a remote desktop services installation, standard deployment, for a virtual machine based desktop deployment. 

The setup is 1 machine hosts the virtual machines, a second (virtual) machine contains the Broker, Gateway, and Licensing roles.

Unfortunately when attempting to modify the virtual machine pool settings I found the Remote Desktop Services Management Console no longer displayed the environment correctly.  Instead of displaying the servers and their available roles it simply appeared to be refreshing non-stop.  I had rebooted the server several times, gave it hours to refresh, ect ect.  Finally I just removed all the Remote Desktop Roles from both servers, so I could re add them, hoping for better results the second time around.

For some reason I am no longer able to complete the Remote Desktop Services Installtion, standard deployment.  Using the wizard, I am able to add all roles successfully to the second (virtual) server, however the virtual host role fails to install with the following error:

"RD Virtualization Host Configuration Failed on machineName.domain.com With Error: Could not create the Windows Management Instrumentation Windows Firewall exception on machineName.domain.com."

I am unable to find any additional errors that could indicate why this is happening.  I have confirmed I am using the domain administrator account, restarted several times.  I have confirmed the exception rules (for both inbound/outbound) were present in the firewall. 

I attempted to remove the exceptions, tried to go through the wizard again, still got a fail message, and confirmed it does not create those exception rules on its own.  I went ahead and manually created those rules and attempted another run through of the wizard, but still no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

• Edited by atsmith893 Sunday, October 28, 2012 9:17 AM
October 28th, 2012 9:13am

Hi,

Pls check on the RDCB server to whether the registry has been cleared when remove all the roles.

Locate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SOFTWARE-Microsoft-windows NT-Currentversion-Terminal server.You need to check the virtualization host collection under centralpublishedresources-PublishedFarms and RDVH under session broker-virtualdesktopservers.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

Also,remember to reboot the machine and turn off the firewall to see whether it works.As a last resort,since it is a test environment,you may need to consider reinstalling the VM to start a new deployment.

regards,

Clarence

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2012 9:00am

Thank you very much for the response. 

After removing the roles from both server I verified the registry settings and found there were 3 folders under the published farms.  I went ahead and deleted those folders.  I did not see the session broker-virtualdesktopservers directory howerver.  I did check both the Connection Broker and Virtual Host servers.

I attempted to install the remote desktop configuration once again and it failed in the same way it has been with the message:

Could not create the Windows Management Instrumentation Windows Firewall exception on [servername.domain.com].

Please let me know if there is anything else I should possibly try.

Thank you.

October 30th, 2012 3:54pm

Still haven't been able to solve this, I will probably just uninstall/reinstall server 2012 on the Virtual Host Server.  I have read online that the Windows Management Instrumentation can become corrupted beyond repair from uninstalling particular RDS roles.

Thank you for the help anyway.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 8th, 2012 9:58pm

netsh firewall set service RemoteAdmin enable

May 1st, 2015 7:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics