RD Licensing Server is Configured But Not Configured?!?!?!?

I'm setting up my Windows Server 2012 R2 and have run into a very confusing problem.  I've installed all the necessary roles and features for RDS & RDS gateway - all but Remote Desktop Virtualization Host, because I don't need virtualization - and have purchased and successfully installed 5 User CALs, but there's a problem.

1.  the RD Licensing Manager indicates (at least to me) that everything is ok:

2. While the RD Licensing Diagnoser indicates that it isn't configured:

When I click on "Remote Desktop Services" in the left pane of Server Manager, all that's there is the following message, "A Remote Desktop Services deployment does not exist in the Server Pool.  To create a deployment, run the Add Roles and Features Wizard and select the Remote Desktop Services installation option.  The problem there is that I've already done all that.  If I hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to install the licenses (I think?).  I even uninstalled, then reinstalled the roles & features and reinstalled the licenses, but to no avail.

I'm so completely confused by all this, and don't know how to resolve it.  I've gone through all the "Actions" in the Licensing Manager, and the one and only action in the Diagnoser, but can't resolve the issue.  I'd be very grateful for any/all help in this matter.

May 21st, 2015 5:48pm

Hi,

1. Did you create an RDS deployment using Server Manager -- Add Roles and Features -- RDS installation -- Standard/Quick -- Session-based deployment -- etc.?

2. In Server Manager -- RDS -- Overview -- Deployment Overview -- Tasks -- Edit Deployment Properties -- RD Licensing tab, do you have the mode set to Per User and is the name of your RD Licensing server listed?

3. Did you create a session collection and add your server to it?  If you did Quick Start in step 1 above it would have done this automatically for you.  If you chose Standard then you need to create a collection via Server Manager -- RDS -- Collections -- Tasks -- Create Session Collection

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2015 5:55pm

Hi TP, and thanks for your kind response and instructions.  Here's the results.

1. Did you create an RDS deployment using Server Manager -- Add Roles and Features -- RDS installation -- Standard/Quick -- Session-based deployment -- etc.?

I hadn't done that (didn't know about it), so I followed the above instructions and restarted the server.

2. In Server Manager -- RDS -- Overview -- Deployment Overview -- Tasks -- Edit Deployment Properties -- RD Licensing tab, do you have the mode set to Per User and is the name of your RD Licensing server listed?

I followed the above instructions and again restarted the server (wasn't sure if it was necessary, but better safe than sorry).

3. Did you create a session collection and add your server to it?  If you did Quick Start in step 1 above it would have done this automatically for you.  If you chose Standard then you need to create a collection via Server Manager -- RDS -- Collections -- Tasks -- Create Session Collection

Yup, I did do the Quick Start in step 1, so I assume that the session collection was done.

Unfortunately there's still a problem.  While the RD Licensing Manager still shows that the CALs are proprly installed, the RD Licensing Diagnoser still shows a problem, that the Session Host server hasn't been configured with a licensing server.  Any ideas about why or how to resolve it (I tried screaming a the monitor but that didn't seem to help much <LOL>).    Here's the screen shot:

May 21st, 2015 6:54pm

Hi,

Based on what the diagnoser is showing you have not specified the FQDN of your RD Licensing server, which in your case I believe is the same server.  Please verify in Server Manager -- RDS -- Overview -- Deployment Overview -- Tasks -- Edit Deployment Properties -- RD Licensing tab that the correct FQDN for your server is listed, and if not add it and Apply the change.

After completing the above please close the diagnoser and open it again.  Additonally please launch a RemoteApp from RD Web Access as one of the users that you want to have a license, and then check in RD Licensing Manager that a license has been issued to them.

There should be no need to restart at this point.

Thanks.

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2015 7:15pm

Hi and thanks again for your response.  I drilled down as instructed above, but when I selected the RD Licensing tab, all the buttons were greyed out.  the FQDN is not there, but I can't add it because the "Add" button is inoperative.

Is there something else that I'm missing?

May 21st, 2015 8:51pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics