RD Connection Broker, do I need any third party items to do load balancing?

RD Connection Broker does load balancing and session reconnect.  Are there limitations to its load balancing features? (i.e. reasons to go with a third party solution) 

Also is it a stand a lone service do we need specific network/services to make it work?

November 14th, 2013 5:11am

connection broker does "resource" load balancing, not IP traffic load balancing.

you still need either MS NLB, DNS round robin or a network appliance to load balance the traffic between multiple RD host servers, unless you have a flat single server setup.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 14th, 2013 6:08pm

For relatively small setups, is a load balance resources on the Session servers, is an IP load balancer required.  

We are not doing any IP Load balancing, we are mainly looking at balancing the sessions across RDP Session servers and to accomodate if a server goes down.

November 14th, 2013 6:54pm

Hi,

Remote Desktop Connection Broker enables you to evenly distribute the session load among RD Session Host servers in a load-balanced RD Session Host server farm.

More information:

Installing and Configuring RD Connection Broker High Availability in Windows Server 2012

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10391.installing-and-configuring-rd-connection-broker-high-availability-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

Overview of Remote Desktop Connection Broker (RD Connection Broker)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772245.aspx

Hope this helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 21st, 2013 12:06pm

Be aware that with Win 7 x64 and RDC 8.1 (KB2830477 ) installed connections to a RDS Connection Broker from outside your LAN will not get through.

I'm struggling this this problem at the moment and hope to garner some attention from MS regarding this matter.

All internal connections to our broker are properly redirected.

All external connections to our broker are handed the proper destination server but never try to reconnect.

I suspect this problem is already embedded with Windows 8.1 and any prior version with the KB I listed about installed.

February 22nd, 2014 5:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics