RDS Explained

Hi all,

Windows Server 2012/R2 seems to be different in regards to how it manages Remote Desktop Services.

Basically I have a physical server that I want to be used as an RDS. I have added it as a member server to AD and I have setup group policy to lock it down.

I have noticed that at the moment, if people try to connect over a Remote Desktop Connection (assuming they are in the correct groups for RDP access) they can get in, access software etc.

This is basically all I want it to be used for so happy days! 

Could someone explain in somewhat basic terms what all of the other portions of remote desktop services are.

I notice when you go to add roles you have:

Connection Broker
Desktop Gateway
Desktop Licensing
Session Host
Virtualization Host
Web Access

Could someone let me know what all of the above are and a scinario that they would be used in. At the moment I currently just have Gateway and Licensing installed as I believe I need these for what I want to achieve above. But I am not sure about this. I have noticed it has also installed services like IIS, not sure why again!

from Server Manager if I go into Remote Desktop Services I get a message:

There are no RD Connection Broker Servers in the server pool, can someone explain this too.

If i go to add a role I get the option of "Remote Desktop Services Installation". What is this?

There seem to be a LOT of different sections to Remote Desktop so a nice rundown as well as some scenarios would be nice! 

Also, I need to add some CAL's so that people are accessing the server with the correct licensing.

I do not need remote apps or anything like that. People will be accessing it simply by going to remote desktop connection, entering the server address and entering their details and getting a virtual desktop.

I just want to ensure it is all setup correctly so support, some scenarios and explanations on this would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks very much!!!

September 13th, 2015 6:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics