RDS Desktop Session

RDS 2012 R2. 1 Web2 Brokers 4 RDSH. RemoteApp used in production.

I want to test full Desktop session for remote user.

What should be done?

T

August 27th, 2015 9:37pm

Dear Slava.

as  mentioned RemoteApp is in production... load balancing in place.

I want to provide to users full Desktop Session experience.

in mstsc typing RDSFARM bringhs Remote Desktop session.

Sure that configured mstsc shortcut could be delivered to user Desktop for further connection...

I am asking how other setting up the scenario for Remote Desktop Session in  RDS2012.

August 28th, 2015 10:24am

You can do it two ways that I know of.

1. Publish mstsc.exe /v:rdsfarm and allow users to connect

2. Create a new collection (requires more servers since a server can only be in one collection) and don't publish any applications. The collection name will show up in your RemoteApp program list with a remote desktop icon. This will connect directly to one of the collection session hosts.

Option 1 is kinda questionable to me. You're connecting to possibly server 1 to run a program. Then that program is giving you a remote desktop connection to possibly server 2. This means a chain of RDP sessions that I believe also allocates two RDP licenses for the connections.

Option 2 has been buggy for me. From outside my network it works exactly as expected. From inside my network I will usually get a connection to a server that is NOT in the full desktop collection. This causes a problem for me since the software our full desktop users will need has a limited installation count available and cannot be installed on our application collection session hosts.

Your mileage may vary. I am still not sure what is allowing the full desktop connection to session hosts that are not in the full desktop collection. My topic thread for that issue is here if you happen to develop an insight to fix it: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e98e5722-d576-4286-a876-63c288d37574

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 3:21pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics