RDS 2012 R2: A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the (name-of-service) service

Hi guys,

On a random base (daily, weekly) we're experiencing major log-in problems on our Windows Server 2012 R2 Remote Desktop Services farm. The VM's are hosted on Hyper-V 2008 hosts and we're not using Citrix techniques etc.

Users are reporting that they cannot log-in, the log-in sessions hangs with a blank screen when loading their user profile (e.g. Please Wait For The User Profile Service).

In the System event log of the server on which the user is logging on the following errors are shown:

Source:        Service Control Manager 
Date:          23-12-2014 7:28:01
Event ID:      7011
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UmRdpService service.

and after 30 (or sometimes 60) seconds, the same error only another service (in random order):

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UmRdpService service.

and after exactly 30 seconds, the same error only another service:

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the UxmSms service.

etcetera, with the following errors:

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the Netman service.

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the AudioEndPointBuilder service.

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the WPDBusEnum service.

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the NlaSvc service.

The Portable Device Enumerator Service service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the TrkWks service.

These errors are logged continuously.

An administrator cannot solve this since he isn't able to login in as well (console or remotely), only a hard reset of the VM is possible to use the affected server again.

I took different steps to solve this problem without any success, like:

- Installing the latest Windows updates
- Removed unnecessary printer drivers, print monitors and print processors (no local printers/drivers are installed, only Remote Desktop Easy Printer driver is used)
- Searched different forum posts, but found only hotfixes for Windows Server 2008 R2.

Can someone please help me with this annoying problem?

Many thanks!!

EDIT:
Of course is increasing the time-out not really an option here... http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13765.event-id-7011-service-timeout.aspx

• Edited by Jeroentjuhh Wednesday, December 24, 2014 11:30 AM
December 24th, 2014 11:29am

Hi Jeroentjuhh,

1)Do you see this problem on all VM's or only on Windows 2012 R2 server?

2)Are these VMs' in hyper-v cluster?

3)Do you see event id 56 or 50? Please see the below link if it helps you to resolve these events.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/scstr/archive/2012/02/29/how-to-troubleshoot-the-terminal-server-security-layer-detected-an-error-in-the-protocol-stream-and-has-disconnected-the-client-client-ip-and-the-rdp-protocol-component-x-224-detected-an-error-in-the-protocol-stream-and-has-d.aspx

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 24th, 2014 12:04pm

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your reply! Below the answers to your questions:

1)Do you see this problem on all VM's or only on Windows 2012 R2 server?
- We've currently only one Windows 2012 R2 VM, the rest of the servers are on base of Windows 2008 R2 and are working fine. We want to use 2012 R2 for all VM's, but not until this problem is solved.

2)Are these VMs' in hyper-v cluster?
- Yes, the Windows 2008 R2 VM's and Windows 2012 R2 VM are in a Hyper-V cluster

3)Do you see event id 56 or 50? Please see the below link if it helps you to resolve these events.
- I've just searched the System eventlog, but no events with protocol stream errors of 56 or 50 ID's.

Thanks!

December 24th, 2014 12:12pm

Hi,

How about if you migrate the VM to another host? Do you still see the same problem?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

December 24th, 2014 12:20pm

Hi Umesh,

I've not tried that, the VM is now placed on the least loaded host within the cluster. Since all hosts are using exactly the same configuration, I expect no differences. Thx, Jeroen

December 24th, 2014 12:40pm

Hi Jero,

The reason why I asked you to migrate the VM to another host is, as per the information you have provided, it looks like there is some issue for services which are giving "timeout" error in that host. If migration of VM to another host helps you to fix the issue, then we can narrow down the issue to that particular host. Please perform this action and let us know the result.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

December 24th, 2014 3:04pm

Hi Jero,

Do you have any update on the issue?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

January 5th, 2015 2:26pm

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for asking!

I've moved the VM a week ago, but since the holiday season was there no real load on it. And as the problems are really at a random base, I would like to wait a while before we form any conclusions.

Thanks!

Jeroen

• Edited by Jeroentjuhh Monday, January 05, 2015 2:33 PM
January 5th, 2015 2:33pm

Unfortunately moving the VM to other Hyper-V hosts didn't help. The VM just hang, same 7011 eventID's are being logged (A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the <servicename> service) and I'm unable to login.

The following message is displayed when I try to login during the problem; a reset will solve it until the next time... Does anyone has a solution for this; it is making me (and my clients) crazy!

January 6th, 2015 4:50pm

Hi Jero,

Since it is in non-English, I am not able to understand the message that is on screen. However, I would suggest you to disjoin and re-join this VM to domain and see if helps.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

January 6th, 2015 5:58pm

Hi Umesh,

Sorry, the screenshot is indeed in Dutch. It gets stuck on "Please wait for the Remote Desktop Configuration".

I don't get the disjoin and join the VM's to the domain action, what are your thoughts around this? As I don't think that services spontaneously stop working when there is a domain-join-issue?

Thanks!

Jeroen 

January 9th, 2015 7:59am

Hi Jero,

There may be an issue with group policies taking long time to apply. Or VM may be taking time to locate domain controller for authentication. Or there may be some services taking long time to start. This is the reason I asked you to disjoin and re-join to the domain.

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

January 9th, 2015 8:19am

Hello Jeroentjuhh,

This can possibly because of TS ports are cached in the following section of the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\DEVICECLASSES can be applicable http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/03/06/performance-issues-due-to-inactive-terminal-server-ports.aspx

January 10th, 2015 3:33am

Hi Sanket,

Thanks for your help! However I don't experience long logon times, but a RDS server which is not responding anymore. Events 7011 are being logged (A timeout (30000 milliseconds) was reached while waiting for a transaction response from the servicename-service) and I'm unable to login since "Please wait for the Remote Desktop Configuration" is displayed for hours. A hard reset of the VM is the only temporarly solution.

Jeroen

January 11th, 2015 10:43am

Hi Jero,

Were you able to fix the issue?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

February 2nd, 2015 9:22pm

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for the follow up, but still no solution available... There are enough hotfixes available who could potentially fix the problem according to others, but only for Windows Server 2008 R2 instead of 2012 R2. :(

• Proposed as answer by tijgetje57 Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:52 AM
  • Unproposed as answer by Jeroentjuhh Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:56 AM
February 6th, 2015 11:17pm

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem on a Server 2012 R2 RD server. Users that logged on already could not open some excel sheets or had applications saying not responding (not all applications). I have had this issue before on 2008 R1/R2 terminal servers en most of the time it's caused by the print spooler. 

After turning off the print spooler service from another computer through remote service (as I was unable to logon to the computer either by RDP or by console) my logon finished and I could use the RD server again without rebooting the server or anything. 

Have you found a valid solution for your problem or does it still occur sometimes?

Regards,

Dave

May 11th, 2015 8:39am

I also do have the same freaking issue, driving me MAD/insane. Cannot figure out why this is happening. Do we have to reboot the machine once in the week. Or do we have scrap the 2012 R2 environment due to the fact it's premature too early on the market? Not well tested.....

May 13th, 2015 11:54am

Hi Dave,

No still no solution for this annoying issue... :( And since we don't have any printer drivers installed on our environment (Easy print driver only), I'm not sure if it is printerdriver related at all.

Thx,

Jeroen

May 13th, 2015 11:59am

Same problem here since installing a bunch of updates on the 21st of May. Has been running fine for about 6 months but had a lock up on the 25th and today - same symptoms as above.

So it looks to me like an MS Update issue - but which one?

May 26th, 2015 12:26am

In our scenario the RDS 2012 R2 servers are recently installed and thus patched up completely. Could be that there is a specific update causing this issue however I have no clue which update it is. 

After enabling print driver isolation on all our drivers the problem went away for about a week untill yesterday it happened again on one server. Since the resolution is restarting the print spooler everytime (sometimes this is not possible using remote services so i have to use tasklist/taskkill to get it done) I still believe this has something to do with printing in our case.

May 27th, 2015 8:08am

Hi Jeroen,

Did anyone soleved this problem?

Regards,

Niels

July 17th, 2015 1:48pm

Hi, we have the same issue. Did you or somebody else find a solution for this? Regards, Steven
August 15th, 2015 12:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics