RDS 2012 License Problem

Guys,

I have a Physical Server 2012 installation running with a Core 2012 virtual machine as a DC;  Both are domain joined as part of a SBS2008 network.

Remote desktop services has been configured on the Physical 2012 installation and has been running fine till today when no user can connect any more.  It looks like the the 120day grace period has expired though as far as I'm aware all of the licensing has been installed configured and there have been  no alerts to indicate otherwise;

RDS License diagnostics is reporting:

The Remote Desktop Session Host server is in Per User licensing mode and No Redirector Mode, but license server server2012 does not have any installed licenses with the following attributes:
Product version: Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2
Licensing mode: Per User
License type: RDS CALs

Which doesnt make sense as the RDS Cals installed are 2012 and the RDS server is Server 2012.

- All of the RDS roles are installed on the physical 2012 server (along with RD Licensing);

- It has been activated as a RD Licensing server and 5 2012 RDS User cals have been installed;

- RDS - Overview - Deployment properties - RDS Licensing - has been set to per user and Server2012 specified as the licensing server;

- I have adjusted group policy to set the following items

computer config / administrative / windows components / remote desktop services / remote desktop session host / licensing / use the specified remote desktop license server

computer config / administrative / windows components / remote desktop services / remote desktop session host / licensing / set the remote desktop licensing mode

I have deleted the REG_BINARY key from

HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\RCM\GracePeriod

After a server restart people are now able to access the server again remotely.  However license diagnostic is still showing the same error.  I'm concerned that the issue may occurs again - any thoughts on how to resolve?

Thanks

Asim

May 20th, 2013 6:44pm

Hello Asim,

I have exactly the same problem few posts above :)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/a7261fda-4031-4088-8af2-fb678ae4458e

I have done same like you plus some Powershell:

Check this maybe it will helps you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2833839/en-us?sd=rss&spid=16526&wa=wsignin1.0&wa=wsignin1.0

For me powershell gives some errors but according to Microsoft it should work.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 20th, 2013 6:57pm

Hi,

I've gone through the MS article but some of the powershell commands dont work:

Works OK:

$obj = gwmi -namespace "Root/CIMV2/TerminalServices" Win32_TerminalServiceSetting

$obj.GetSpecifiedLicenseServerList()

Doesnt work OK:

$obj.ChangeMode(value)

$obj.SetSpecifiedLicenseServerList("LicServer")

The Get specified license server list does show my license server as the name license server, how the licensing mode returned seems to be a '2' which indicates device mode instead of '4' which is user mode.    User mode is configured under RDS Licenging and Deployment properties.

Rgds

Asim

May 20th, 2013 7:24pm

Hi Asim,

I have exactly the same problem:

Those two commands works.

$obj = gwmi -namespace "Root/CIMV2/TerminalServices" Win32_TerminalServiceSetting

$obj.GetSpecifiedLicenseServerList()

Please write error that you have. ? I use the license Mode 4 - but both should work 2 and 4 it just the license tape that you would like to use Per device or per user.

Do you have any error in event viewer?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 21st, 2013 10:10am

I have opened the case in the Official Microsoft Support and:

- First I have heard that is not possible to Install the Remote Desktop on Win 2012 DC but when I show the Website:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2833839/en-us?sd=rss&spid=16526&wa=wsignin1.0&wa=wsignin1.0

I have heard that we will try to find the sollution.

- After Checking the Powershell commands that none didnt works I have heard to delete GracePeriod from the registry.

Therefore I have deleted which i Suppose solved problem temporally - 180Days of license.

At the moment 03/07/2013 the Microsoft doesnt have solution for this problem so this is the only way to solve it temporally (in 180Days hope they will do some HotFix).

Regards

Dariusz Borkiewicz
July 3rd, 2013 5:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics