RDP to Test Failover VM

I'm attempting to test failover a VM (it's a DC if that matters) and running the Test Failover the instance appears to start yet I'm not able to RDP to the test instance at all.

I've added an Endpoint for RDP, added a Permit ACL for 0.0.0.0/0, made sure RDP is enabled (it works on-prem), stopped the BFE service... nothing seems to make any difference RDP'ing to the test failover instance.  What am I missing here? Is it possible the Azure instance really isn't running or getting to the point that RDP will work?

May 29th, 2015 5:11pm

Hi JDS300,

Where you able to RDP into VM earlier ?

What is the exact error message you see when the RDP fails ?

Firstly, Check the quick glance in the Dashboard of the Virtual Machine and ensure that the Virtual Machine is running and other parameters are all displayed. If not, please restart the Virtual Machine to see if the issue persists.

I understand you have added the end point but I recommend you to once again check if the endpoint for Remote Desktop to ensure that it is existing or not. If not, you can recreate a new endpoint for Remote Desktop

Resizing the Azure Virtual Machine might fix the issue if there is a problem specific to the host where the Azure Virtual Machine is currently running. Since D: drive will be lost and the internal IP address of the Azure Virtual Machine will also be changed if the Azure Virtual Machine ends up on a different host after resizing, please make sure that no important data on the D: drive and no influence would be caused by changing the internal IP address.

Check the Remote Desktop configuration on the local side , You need to make sure that Remote Desktop service is not blocked on your local side.

Check for Login credentials ( Domain : sometimes, the default domain name is not the DNS name of the cloud service that the Azure Virtual Machine belongs to. You need to ensure the domain name is correct. You can use the DNS name of the cloud service with username (xxx.cloudapp.net\username) as the user name to connect. )

( User Account : If the user account is not the admin account when you create the Virtual Machine, you need to make sure that it has permission for Remote Desktop. In general, for a local user account in the Azure Virtual Machine, you need to make sure that it is added in the Remote Desktop User group )

You might want to see " How to Reset a Password or the Remote Desktop Service for Windows Virtual Machines "

Write back with an exact error message if the above steps dint help.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 30th, 2015 8:08am

Hi JDS300,

Firstly, Check the quick glance in the Dashboard of the Virtual Machine and ensure that the Virtual Machine is running and other parameters are all displayed. If not, please restart the Virtual Machine to see if the issue persists.

I understand you have added the end point but I recommend you to once again check if the endpoint for Remote Desktop to ensure that it is existing or not. If not, you can recreate a new endpoint for Remote Desktop

Resizing the Azure Virtual Machine might fix the issue if there is a problem specific to the host where the Azure Virtual Machine is currently running. Since D: drive will be lost and the internal IP address of the Azure Virtual Machine will also be changed if the Azure Virtual Machine ends up on a different host after resizing, please make sure that no important data on the D: drive and no influence would be caused by changing the internal IP address.

Check the Remote Desktop configuration on the local side , You need to make sure that Remote Desktop service is not blocked on your local side.

Check for Login credentials ( Domain : sometimes, the default domain name is not the DNS name of the cloud service that the Azure Virtual Machine belongs to. You need to ensure the domain name is correct. You can use the DNS name of the cloud service with username (xxx.cloudapp.net\username) as the user name to connect. )

( User Account : If the user account is not the admin account when you create the Virtual Machine, you need to make sure that it has permission for Remote Desktop. In general, for a local user account in the Azure Virtual Machine, you need to make sure that it is added in the Remote Desktop User group )

You might want to see " How to Reset a Password or the Remote Desktop Service for Windows Virtual Machines "

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

May 30th, 2015 8:09am

Hi JDS300,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

May 30th, 2015 12:08pm

Hi JDS300,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Hi JDS300,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Hi JDS300,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Hi JDS300,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Hi JDS300,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

This is the error message I get when trying to RDP.

According to the Dashboard the VM is running and everything appears good from the Dashboard.  I've saved the endpoint/ACL multiple times and again appears to be applied.  Remote Desktop is enabled and works fine on the local side. I can try to resize the instance and see if that makes any difference either. 

I will post back with the results on Monday.

Thanks,
JD

May 31st, 2015 10:36am

is it windows 2012 server?  please check below if it helps.

We have to make sure that RDP exception added in the firewall at private, domain and public level for windows 2012 servers at on-premises,  otherwise we will hit issue in azure that after failover, we wont able to connect to the server through RDP session.  In below case, exception is not added at Public level and if you failover this VM to Azure, we cant able to connect to the server through RDP

Thx-Gopi

June 1st, 2015 2:05am

Kindly ensure that the public firewall rule for remote desktop is enabled - while you were on-premises. Next ensure that the Cloud service endpoint is added for the VM.

In case it is a domain joined VM - then IPSec and BFE services can be turned off to remote desktop into the VM. Note that turning off these services is not recommended as they affect your firewall settings.

Thank you,

Ruturaj

June 1st, 2015 4:20am

Yes, this is a 2012 R2 VM. Here is a screenshot of the firewall settings for Remote Desktop. It is allowed/enabled for Public, Private, and Domain.  The firewall is actually turned off on the on-premise VM. 

I see a Cloud Service Endpoint for the failover instance in the Azure dashboard. Says Production 'Running' and I don't see anything else to really do so I would assume that is correct?

Restarting the test failover instance also does not seem to change anything.  Still receiving the same RDP error trying to connect.  In this instance dashboard I see CPU and Disk activity but no network activity (in or out).  Again not sure if that means anything but running out of ideas.
  • Edited by JDS300 18 hours 8 minutes ago
June 1st, 2015 8:52am

Yes, this is a 2012 R2 VM. Here is a screenshot of the firewall settings for Remote Desktop. It is allowed/enabled for Public, Private, and Domain.  The firewall is actually turned off on the on-premise VM. 

I see a Cloud Service Endpoint for the failover instance in the Azure dashboard. Says Production 'Running' and I don't see anything else to really do so I would assume that is correct?

Restarting the test failover instance also does not seem to change anything.  Still receiving the same RDP error trying to connect.  In this instance dashboard I see CPU and Disk activity but no network activity (in or out).  Again not sure if that means anything but running out of ideas.
  • Edited by JDS300 18 hours 5 minutes ago
June 1st, 2015 8:52am

Seems network issue in Azure.  could you please stop the VM and start again from powershell commands.

Stop-AzureVM -ServiceName "{Cloud service name}" -Name "{VM Name}" -Force

Start-AzureVM -ServiceName "{Cloud service name}" -Name "{VM Name}"

If the above process doesn't work, we will have remote session to connect to your environment for further troubleshooting.  

Thx-Gopi 

June 1st, 2015 10:31am

I ran those commands and now I'm able to RDP to the failover instance.  I noticed in the dashboard that before running those I was finally seeing network traffic show up, so I'm not sure if running those commands resolved it or if it just started working on it's own.   I will do another failover test to see and update again.

Thank you (everyone) for all of the help.

June 1st, 2015 11:02am

• Edited by JDS300 Monday, June 01, 2015 1:07 PM
June 1st, 2015 12:51pm

Seems network issue in Azure.  could you please stop the VM and start again from powershell commands.

If the above process doesn't work, we will have remote session to connect to your environment for further troubleshooting.  

Thx-Gopi 

June 1st, 2015 2:30pm

Thx-Gopi 

Thx-Gopi 

Thx-Gopi 

Thx-Gopi 

Thx-Gopi 

So I completed that previous round of testing and initiated a new test failover instance.  Same issue right off the bat (as expected). Cannot RDP and I do not see any network traffic at all via the dashboard.  Waited ~20-30 minutes and no change in network stats or RDP status.  

Issued the Stop-AzureVM & Start-AzureVM commends via PowerShell (confirmed each one ran via the portal) and still seeing the same symptoms. No network activity and cannot RDP.  I will let the instance run for now and see if something changes.  

For more testing I spun up a new local 2012 R2 VM (non-domain, just a base OS install) and replicated it to ASR and had no problems performing a test failover and immediately being able to connect via RDP so there is something either with this VM/instance that just isn't working right.

June 1st, 2015 3:19pm

Looks like sometime between 3:20 & 3:25pm CDT via the dashboard network traffic began working and I'm able to access it via RDP.  What would cause such a long delay in network connectivity?
  • Edited by JDS300 10 hours 21 minutes ago typo
June 1st, 2015 4:55pm

Looks like sometime between 3:20 & 3:25pm CDT via the dashboard network traffic began working and I'm able to access it via RDP.  What would cause such a long delay in network connectivity?
  • Edited by JDS300 10 hours 18 minutes ago typo
June 1st, 2015 4:55pm

Please open ticket with Azure to check this case. 
June 1st, 2015 7:44pm

• Edited by JDS300 Monday, June 01, 2015 8:55 PM typo
June 1st, 2015 8:54pm

June 1st, 2015 11:44pm

I can't open a technical support case, billing is the only option available.  Am I going to have to purchase a support plan or burn an incident/time from our Partner account to have this looked into?
June 2nd, 2015 11:38am

Hi,

To figure out the delay in network connectivity and find the root cause for issues on RDP we might have to get the secured information and access it which cannot be done over the public forum. Hence this needs a technical support ticket for further investigation.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

June 3rd, 2015 5:53am

Hi,

To figure out the delay in network connectivity and find the root cause for issues on RDP we might have to get the secured information and access it which cannot be done over the public forum. Hence this needs a technical support ticket for further investigation.

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

June 3rd, 2015 5:53am

Hi,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

June 3rd, 2015 9:51am

Hi,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Hi,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Hi,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

Hi,

Regards,

Shirisha Paderu

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics