RDP no longer works
I've got a Server 2003 box that I can no longer RDP to, but can access the registry, services, etc. of. This is a Citrix server that is having performance issues so I've been making changes to the settings with the goal of no longer neededing a weekly reboot. I recently made three changes, none of which should have disabled RDP. Here's what I changed: Followed the directions in Microsoft KB 935649 to configure the PoolUsageMaximum and PagedPoolSizeFollowed the directions in Microsoft KB823586 to disable speech and handwriting recognitionFollowed the recommendation on this eventid.net page to set MaxWorkItems, MaxRawWorkItems, MaxFreeConnections, and MinFreeConnections under lanman paramters Now, when I try to RDP from Windows, I get a generic error that says remote access isn't enabled, the server is off, or not available on the network. After making the changes, we rebooted the server. When I connect using Remote Desktop Connection Manager, it says "unable to establish a connection" and a colleauge using mRemote gets a message about a socket error. Since we couldn't RDP, I removed the lanman keys and rebooted again, but that didn't help. I have also verified that the terminal services service, is started. Finally, I verified that the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\fDenyTSConnections is "0". How do I resolve this further? Thanks.
July 17th, 2012 7:08pm

Its a known issue, Check this hot fix once and check for the difference http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958476Regards, Ravikumar P
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 17th, 2012 7:18pm

Citrix connections are working. Also, I don't believe this is an x64 server (I'll check though).
July 18th, 2012 12:16pm

I got into the server at the console and opened System Properties -> Remote tab -> removed check for "allow rdp" -> Apply -> add check for "allow rdp" and I can RDP again.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 18th, 2012 3:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics