RDP connection is wierd
I have a Dell server with Server 03 installed. This server has been running flawlessly for more than 2 years. I have the RDP connection set for my boss. Since he does most of his business at home. Here lately he and I have been having issues remote connecting to the server. I am pulling my hair out. Can anyone help me with this problem. The RDP connects when it wants to. It is very wierd.
October 29th, 2009 6:34am

Have you checked the sessions that are connected to the server ? maybe the sessions are disconnected without logoff !!!Network is my LOVE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 10th, 2009 4:59pm

Can you give us any more information than"The RDP connects when it wants to"...its hard tohelp you with that tiny amount of informationHere are some things that you could tell us that would help:What happens when it will not connect exactly, what error message do you receive?How do you and your boss connect to this server, e.g via VPN or straight from the internet etcYou say you experience the same problem,are you just sat on the same LAN as the server or are you also accessing it from outside of the network?How long does this period where it will not let you connect last (is it a few seconds, a few hours etc) ?What makes it start working again? Do you have to reboot the server or something, or does it just randomly start working again?Canyou ping the server when this happens? If so, can you telnet through on port 3389?What happens if you try to log on to the console session when this problem occurrs (by using the /Console switch or the /Admin switch if you are using the latest version of the RDP client) ?:)ChrisEDIT: Just seen how old this thread is, not sure why Mohammad posted a reply to it a few hours ago but I'm guessing the OP has got the problem resolved by now :)
December 10th, 2009 11:24pm

go to start ->administrative tools ->terminal services manager make sure that there are not multiple sessions still logged in if all is clear ...this could be cause by a number of things including ...your policies set in gpmc...bandwidth number of users connecting simultaneouslywhat has changed on this server ...any updates new programs patches etc where are you logging on from what kind of machine what os (this one is minor but can still cause issues connecting to server 03)are you using sbs, enterprise or standard?did you update a video driver on the server through windows updates?are you using the default 3389 port...can you telnet in on this port when errors occur? what services are running on the server you are connecting to since some windows services do conflict with each other ...etc we can go on and on!!!
December 11th, 2009 1:38am

Hi mr-1t-m4n,I am interested to know this part "what services are running on the server you are connecting to since some windows services do conflict with each other " .Can i know what are the windows services which gets conflict with each other ?? , because every process has its only Virtual address space , an thread under execution , PID, a process has the corresponding handle opened and if you go into deeper the kernel objects associated. so want to understand in what perspective does process gets conflict ??RDP as a protocol only uses 3389 port @ Dannyas chris mentioned the info you have provided is not sufficient , please provide more info for further troubleshooting.
December 11th, 2009 6:50am

Ok sorry for the lack of info. I am using windows 7 Boss using Vista.When I try to connect sometimes it will go through just fine others like today it just looks at me and never connects. My boss called this morning and said it wasn't connecting. I come in to check it out andeverythinglooks to be ok. To answer most of your questions I have port set to 3389. I am connecting through remote desktop connection.I thought bandwidth would be a problem but it has been running fine in the last couple of years.Standard Edition
December 13th, 2009 10:10pm

Sorry but you still havent really given us any more information, can you go through the 7 or 8 questions I asked in my post and answer each one of them? :)
December 14th, 2009 2:42am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics