RDP Session with a RDP Gateway disconnects when copying larger files from \\tsclient to server.

Hello everyone,

We host a remote desktop environment for customers consisting of a Windows 2012 R2 Session Broker connecting to Terminal Servers 2012 R2. Clients run mostly Windows 7 and some Windows 8 machines (up-to-date) with Remote Desktop Connection 6.3.9600.

The following situation occurs:
When clients connect through the Remote Desktop Gateway (our Session Broker) and try copying a file from \\tsclient to the terminal server, the RDP connection disconnects and reconnects. The file transfer has been aborted with error message "Error 0x800703E3: The I/O operation has been aborted because of the closing of a thread or because of a command from an application" (Freely translated into English). Choosing Retry from the dialogue option results in a different error message: "Insufficient memory is available to complete this operation." (Again, this is a translated message.)

This problem only occurs when copying files larger than 2,5MB (estimation). Smaller files will be copied correctly. 
This problem does not occur when connecting directly (no RD Gateway) to the terminal server.
Using drag-and-drop to copy the files has no different effect.

Can anyone assist me resolving this issue? If there is need for more information, please let me know.

Auke, Netformatie

May 21st, 2015 12:05pm

Hi,

Have you looked at Wireshark capture(s) of when this problem occurs?  You may need to have multiple capture points.  For example, on the client PC, on the RDG, on the RDSH, the switch that the clients connect to, the switch that the servers connect to, any routers, etc.

Are there any entries in the RDG log when a user is disconnected?  The RDG logs are under Event Viewer\ Applications and Services Logs\ Microsoft\ Windows\ TerminalServices-Gateway

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 25th, 2015 11:30am

Hello TP,

Thank you for your reply. We have not looked at Wireshark captures just yet, as we may have a solution to the problem. To clarify: we did some additional testing and know a bit more where the problem lies. 

The problem does not occur in the following situations:
Copying files when using RDP client 6.2.9200
Copying files with UDP disabled on the client via Group Policy (Enable: Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Client\Turn Off UDP On Client)

The following messages are logged in the TerminalServices-Gateway log:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Gateway/Operational
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Gateway
Date:          27/05/2015 08:51:04
Event ID:      303
Task Category: (3)
Level:         Information
Keywords:      (16777216)
User:          NETWORK SERVICE
Computer:      RDGateway
Description:
The user "user" client computer "<ip-address>", disconnected from the following network resource: "TS". Before the user disconnected, the client transferred 1865 bytes and received 4344 bytes. The client session duration was 46 seconds. Connection protocol used: "UDP".

It seems when copying files larger than 2,5MB (estimation), UDP is used to copy the file. With the current version on the client and RDGateway, the UDP causes a disconnect.

We hope to resolve this by installing KB2989039 on the RDGateway server. (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2989039).

I'll let you know later this week when we installed the update and rebooted the server.

Auke - Netformatie

May 27th, 2015 7:32am

Hi,

If your server has one of the more recent rollups it should already have this update.  If it doesn't then I would suggest applying the latest updates and see if the issue you are experiencing is resolved.  In my experience copying files works fine via Server 2012 RDG over UDP.

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 27th, 2015 11:52am

Hi Auke,

Are there any updates at the moment?

Best Regards,

Amy

May 30th, 2015 11:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics