RDP (Remote Desktop) to Windows 10 without passwords not possible anymore. Bug or feature?

After upgrading two of my machines to Windows 10 (Education N clean install and Pro N upgrade from Win8.1), I was not able to set up Remote Desktop as I was used to since Windows 7 (maybe this was possible before, too).

I am used to configure Windows to allow RDP connections as a user without password (home usage only). Apparently this is not working anymore after upgrading to Windows 10. (I have enabled this by modifying secpol.msc 's security policies. Further informations provided if needed).

With the "no password" setup i get immediatly disconnected by the local machine which seems to auto login by itself after connecting via RDP. The only solution I managed to find so far was to set up a password. 

Is this a bug or a feature?

Cheers

August 27th, 2015 7:16pm

Hi,

I have tested to use a user account which has blank password to RDP to Windows 10, and got the error message below:

This behavior is caused by security restriction configured in Group Policy, more specifically, which is:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.

This policy setting is enabled by default on other Windows Systems, too, except that the error message is displayed right after clicked Enter in RDC.

Here is a related KB article below for you:

Error Message: Unable to Log You on Because of an Account Restriction

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/303846

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 5:49am

Hi, 

thanks for your answer.

Hi,

I have tested to use a user account which has blank password to RDP to Windows 10, and got the error message below:

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same situation. Both of my machines have only 1 user with blank password. Let's say pc1 has user1 and pc2 has user2. The "Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only" option is disabled on both machines. The important part here is not about connecting from a Win10 machine, it's about connecting to a Win10 machine . Doesn't matter if both are Win10.

This behavior is caused by security restriction configured in Group Policy, more specifically, which is:

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.

This policy setting is enabled by default on other Windows Systems, too, except that the error message is displayed right after clicked Enter in RDC.

That's what I meant when I mentioned the following:

I am used to configure Windows to allow RDP connections as a user without password (home usage only). Apparently this is not working anymore after upgrading to Windows 10. (I have enabled this by modifying secpol.msc 's security policies. Further informations provided if needed).

• Edited by .sobrino 20 hours 52 minutes ago
September 1st, 2015 6:17am

Hi,

My apologies for the misunderstanding.

The important part here is not about connecting from a Win10 machine, it's about connecting to a Win10 machine.

Yes, I have tested this, more specifically, remotely connect to a Windows 10 machine from a Windows 8.1 machine.

With the "no password" setup i get immediatly disconnected by the local machine which seems to auto login by itself after connecting via RDP.

Would you please clarify the part which seems to auto login by itself?

I dont get disconnected after using a blank password account to remotely connect to Windows 10, the connection is pretty stable.

Please check whether session limits group policy was configured, you may run GPresult.exe on the Windows 10 machine to get a complete view of group policy settings configured and applied.

You may also check session limits registry, which is under

HKEY_Local_Machine\ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ Terminal Services.

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 1st, 2015 11:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics