RDP: Losing the connection

My Server 2012 Standard installtion losing from time to time the RDP connection. Inside the event viewer I found this entry: The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0xd00002fe). Details:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Desktop Window Manager" /> 

<EventID 
Qualifiers="16384">9009</EventID> 

<Level>4</Level> 

<Task>0</Task> 

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-10-19T11:14:19.000000000Z" /> 

<EventRecordID>553</EventRecordID> 

<Channel>Application</Channel> 

<Computer>server002</Computer> 

<Security /> 

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>0xd00002fe</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

The code 0xd00002fe seems to be new for Server 2012, because I was not able to find any information in the internet for this. Anyone knows what happens?

October 19th, 2012 11:38am

Hi,

Did you create the session-based collection to set up the RDS deployment,or just connect thru the conventional Remote desktop?What has been installing on the server 2012?

Anyway,check the networking setting,update your NIC driver,disable all the 3rd party AV/firewall and have a clean boot to see whether it works.

regards,

Clarence

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 23rd, 2012 8:43am

Thanks Clarence for your response. Its a clean installtion inside the data center without additional AV/firewall (I am fine with the Server 2012 Firewall) and without any special hardware or drivers. Its a connect thru the conventional RDP - thats all :-)

On the Server 2012 its just IIS installed and a additional file manager + Firefox. Thats it!

To make this clear: The network connection is not disturbed, the IIS runs fine 24/7 - just the RDP is disturbed and then fine again. The RDP disconnect happens maybe 5 to 7 times a day.

Best regards,

Thorsten.

October 23rd, 2012 9:19am

I have the same error when I run the Windows 8 Simulator inside VS12 expr, from local desktop.

October 28th, 2012 2:11am

I have this problem with Windows 8 and Windows 2012. This happens from our local network (direct RDP) and from the internet (via a RD gateway server).

Is there any solution to this problem?

November 20th, 2012 11:08am

I just had this issue with a 2012 DC. I went in through the Hyper-V console and restarted Remote Desktop Services. Problem resolved.

I found this thread to be one of VERY few mentions of the specific error code. I haven't seen this problem and have been running these VM's since 8/21. I applied the Windows Updates either yesterday or the day before and can't help but wonder if that update cycle is related to this issue.

Regards,

Brian in CA

November 21st, 2012 8:57pm

I'm having the same problem but I've narrowed it down to a Dell printer driver.  If I add the printer to my local PC the connection crashes, as soon as I remove the printer it works fine.  I have other printers installed too and these don't cause a problem.  I've tried updating the drivers but it hasn't resolved the problem.  Do you guys use Dell printers by any chance?

Thanks,

Wayne

November 23rd, 2012 12:19pm

I'm having the same problem but I've narrowed it down to a Dell printer driver.  If I add the printer to my local PC the connection crashes, as soon as I remove the printer it works fine.  I have other printers installed too and these don't cause a problem.  I've tried updating the drivers but it hasn't resolved the problem.  Do you guys use Dell printers by any chance?

Thanks,

Wayne

Hi,

I agree with Wayne. From my past experience, 9/10 when an application crash on my system it was due to some sort of driver conflicts - usually print drivers. Trying update, or install a different drivers see if that would resolve your issue.

Thanks,

Jerry

November 23rd, 2012 7:47pm

I have the same problem, and it's not like there are that many updates or different drivers for Windows Server 2012.

Besides I don't have any additional devices  connected to server. And it still drops connections.

One potential reason I've just discovered is incoming packets trying to authorize on my SQL Server. I think it's some bot and I've toughen up firewall rules. Will post here, if it helps. If there is no post tomorrow, you can safely conclude I'm still experiencing the problem.

---
Well, something strange happened. Messages about Desktop Window Manager still appear in log, but connection seems to be stable for now.
  • Edited by Webmechanic Tuesday, December 04, 2012 5:26 AM
November 28th, 2012 8:55am

I got the same problem, direct rdp connection over LAN. Printer drivers can't be the reason. Client printer redirection is disabled by policy, no printer drivers installed on rdp host except XPS Viewer. This problem started with the first day of installation. The server is a Hyper-V host.

Is server 2012 still banana ware? :) Sorry, bad joke...

March 19th, 2013 10:15am

I ran into this thread while researching the same issue.  A subscriber is connecting by RDP on windows 8 (32 bit) to a 2012 datacenter server, setup as a standalone server.   His complaint is that it disconnects after some idle time.  I have confirmed in the policy that no idle time has been set - it's pretty straight forward.  I also find the same events listed in the event log.

I have connected to the same server from my Win2008 R2 machine and it has not disconnected on me.

This seems to be a win8/12->win8/12 issue.  Has anyone found a solution?

April 21st, 2013 11:23pm

My client is also experiencing this problem with Server 2012. Any fixes out there?

Has all Windows Updates installed.

RDP login sessions only last a 1-2 minutes.

Event 9009 Desktop Window Manager
The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0xd00002fe)

May 30th, 2013 3:02am

I am seeing this as well. Restarting RDP services has no impact. Just sits there at a Blue Screen with the Windows Server 2012 Logo at the bottom.
July 25th, 2013 2:45pm

м . , : м м .  м - м м .м м м м , м м м. Windows м . м м м.          

, RDS

September 30th, 2013 11:53am

Did anyone find the solution to this problem.  We are experiencing random disconnects from Citrix sessions (xen desktop 7) hosted on a 2012 server.  Any info or resolution is appreciated.
November 5th, 2013 12:30am

have you tried changing the port number of the RDP to other ports?

just give it a try, if it doesn't work put back the original settings.

backup the registry though before doing any changes. 

Good luck!!

November 5th, 2013 5:15am

Hello,

I have the exact same problem, with same resolution manipulations. Server is brand new, with RDS deployment done : Licensing, Web Access, Connection Broket, Session Host.

The process DWM is crashing without any apparent reasons, sometimes, blocking the RDS session of users. 

Can a MCP give me some help, please ?

November 21st, 2013 1:35pm

I have the same probl&#232;me, when i try to execute the video in 20 rdp client.my platforme is wms2012 end 20 thin client someone can help us
March 25th, 2014 4:01pm

I just stuck with this issue today with two servers.

I see that both servers have 4000+ user profiles in C:\Users Folder.

Did any one got a fix?

April 23rd, 2014 11:22am

check out this thread guys:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/0241ea09-51c7-4c95-a08d-44ea5dd7713c/dwm-desktop-window-manger-running-at-8090-cpu-constantly?forum=w8itprogeneral

excerpt from link above:

Also, please reduce the screen resolution and select Adjust for best performance and see how it works.

and also: Please install the latest graphic driver 

April 24th, 2014 3:09am

Anybody ever got to the bottom of it?

On W8.1 workstation I got it suddenly happening. Turned off all possible RDP timeouts option in local gpedit, no difference. While being connected I am being logged off for no reason at all

Seb

August 22nd, 2015 12:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics