RDC licensing across forests

I'm trying to setup a Remote Desktop server to get licensing information from another server in another forest. Both are Windows 2012R2 servers

1- Full tow way transitive trust is present and working between the forests/domains.

2- Licensing server is part of Terminal Server License Servers group in all domains.

3- RDS Host Servers is part of the Terminal Server Computers group on the RDS Licensing servers.

4- Domain admins or the Host servers are admins of the RDS Licensing server.

5- The following ports are open between both servers: UDP 137 UDP 138 TCP/135 TCP/139 TCP/445 TCP/49152-65535

I still have a licence server Unavailable error.

What Im a missing?

Thanks.

• Edited by Marxc Monday, August 24, 2015 5:47 PM
August 24th, 2015 5:02pm

Hi,

Since automatic license server discovery is no longer supported for an RD Session Host server that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 and later OS, please specify licensing server manually.

We can specify licensing server through RDS Deployment Properties or Group Policy setting which is under

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\RD Licensing.

More information for you:

Remote Desktop License Server Discovery

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731605.aspx

RD Licensing

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee791761(v=ws.10).aspx

The article above also applies to Windows Server 2012/2012 R2.

Best Regards,

Amy

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 25th, 2015 12:37pm

Thanks for your answer Amy, but I already used the articles mentioned.

The Licensing server has been put in the RD Licensing local policy settings of the Host that needs the licenses.

I have ran the Review configuration on the RD Licensing server and all is green.

When Im in the RD Licensing Diagnoser tool, on the desired unlicensed Host, my licensing server is there, but marked as unavailable with the following message:

License server xxxxxxx is not available. This could be caused by network connectivity problems, the Remote Desktop Licensing service is stopped on the license server, or RD Licensing is no longer installed on the computer.

I was thinking of a FW issue or an AD permission missing.

Thanks 

August 26th, 2015 2:51pm

Hi,

License server xxxxxxx is not available. This could be caused by network connectivity problems, the Remote Desktop Licensing service is stopped on the license server, or RD Licensing is no longer installed on the computer

Please ensure that licensing service is running and disable firewall on the licensing server to see whether the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Amy

September 9th, 2015 7:54am

Thanks again for you answer Amy.

- Yes, service is running on the Licensing server.

Unfortunately, I cannot open all ports between the 2 servers or close bypass the corporate FW.I can only open the FW ports neaded for the communication of the licensing service.

So, again, do you know all the IP ports that needs to be openned ?

5- The following ports are open between both servers:

UDP 137 UDP 138 TCP/135 TCP/139 TCP/445 TCP/49152-65535

September 9th, 2015 11:30am

Hi,

So, again, do you know all the IP ports that needs to be openned?

Yes, here are ports required to be open regarding RDS licensing below, although they are
already open in your case
:

• TCP 135 - RPC  for License Server communication and RDSH
  • TCP 49152 - 65535 (randomly allocated) -  This is the range in Windows Server 2012,  Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008
  • UDP 137 - NetBIOS Name resolution
  • UDP 138 - NetBIOS datagram
  • TCP 139 - NetBIOS session service
  • UDP|TCP 389   LDAP - Used with per user CALs against Active Directory
  • TCP 445 - SMB
  • TCP 443: Communication over the internet to the Microsoft Clearing House
  • TCP 5985: WMI and PowerShell Remoting for administration

Please also try to ping and use nslookup.exe to test network connectivity and DNS resolution for the licensing server.

Here are some related articles below for you:

Which ports are used by a RDS 2012 deployment?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/16164.which-ports-are-used-by-a-rds-2012-deployment.aspx

Licensing Diagnosis: Problems and Resolutions

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rds/archive/2008/02/01/licensing-diagnosis-problems-and-resolutions.aspx

Best Regards,

Amy

September 9th, 2015 10:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics