Quickly editing Server '08 firewall exceptions list
With Server ‘03, it was possible to add multiple, unrelated IPs to the firewall exceptions list simply by adding a comma delimited string to the scope of a particular exception. I’m in search of a way to do this with Server ’08 as I have a large number of machines, each on a different subnet, that need to have the same firewall exceptions; applying the firewall exceptions one IP at a time is way too time consuming. To this end, I’ve tried creating a registry key in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy\FirewallRules with a value that is created when creating the exception in the Windows Firewall GUI (value=v2.10|Action=Allow|Active=TRUE|Dir=In|**|Name=Temp|). I can see the exception populate the exceptions list however the name is blank (instead of temp) and the exception contains no information. What else do I need to do in order to get this registry key to work?
June 21st, 2010 8:35pm

Hi, I'd recommend looking at the netsh advfirewall firewall context: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd734783%28WS.10%29.aspx This will allow you to quickly add and remove rules via the command line. Hope this helps. -- Mike Burr
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2010 6:23pm

Hi, FYI. On July 1st we will be making Windows Server 2008 R2 General forum read only. After receiving a lot of feedback from the community, it was decided that this forum is a duplication and therefore redundant of the General Forum. So, until July 1st, we will start asking customers to redirect their questions to the General Forum. On June 11th, CSS engineers will move any new threads to the General Forum. Please post a reply to the announcement thread if you have any feedback on this decision or the process. You can also email WSSDComm@microsoft.com. Regards, Wilson JiaThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 29th, 2010 8:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics