Quickbooks Pro 2007 Fails with Windows Server 2008 beta 3
Unlike previous editions of the software, QuickBooks Pro 2007 is supposed to work with Vista. I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but we are encountering an execution error with Quickbooks 2007 on Windows Server 2008. QuickBooks installed without errors as did its latest update. Unfortunately, the program repeatedly fails after displayingits first screen. The error messages are: QuickBooks stopped working. Unhandled win32 exception QBW32.exe (1276). The following is a fragment of the debug listing. The failure happened at location 733DBD93. 733DBD86 call 733D9A71 733DBD8B add ebp,2B8h 733DBD91 leave 733DBD92 ret 733DBD93 and dword ptr ds:[73464920h],0 733DBD9A ret
August 26th, 2007 11:38pm

Just because it works on Vista doesn't mean it'll work on 2008. Try turning off DEP and see if it helps. You could also use filemon and regmon and see if it's a problem with file/registry rights. Speak to the vendor of the software to see if they plan on supporting 2008, and keep in mind that it's still in beta which means that some vendors won't do anything until release. (or publicly release a version that works)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 27th, 2007 9:44am

Hi Joachim,Thank you very much for your reply.We do routinely completely disable DEP and also turn off UAC.I do know that some programs will run on Vista, but not on Server. The only major problems that we have had, however, have been with drivers rather than application programs.At present, Quickbooks is the only one out of some 50 programs that we use routinely that run on Windows Server 2003, but not on Windows Server 2008. This does include the original XP/Windows Server 2003 versions and updated, Vista compatible versions.Interestingly, I did check the Intuit forum and there are many messages complaining that the Vista compatible version of Quickbooks doesn't run on Vista. A number of the crashes that are described are similar to what we are experiencing. This is a major concern because Intuit has apparently not resolved this problem for many months. We may be in the same unfortunate posiition of others who have been forced to purchase alternate financial software.
August 27th, 2007 5:29pm

I do believe that when 2008 ships most vendors will do something about this situation since everybody wants to sell. If they don't do it now, just keep asking until they realize the interest.
August 28th, 2007 9:46am

QuickBooks Pro 2007 (multiuser) now works on Server 2008. QuickBooks 2007 installed on Windows Server 2008 without any obvious difficulties, but would consistently crash immediately after showing its start-up display. The Server 2008 operating system had set Internet Explorer to its default which is "High Security". Quickbooks initially pop-ups a Window asking if you want to change this setting. With Quickbooks 2006 running on Windows Server 2003, you can elect or cancel the opportunity to change the IE security settings. Canceling has no adverse effects with QB 2006 and the program subsequently functions normally. With QB 2007, the initial IE "High Security" pop-up is not displayed and the program crashes with the MSVCR80.dll error. After assistance from the debugger which showed that the error condition was related to a program call to IE, it occurred to me to set the IE security options to what QB 2007 wants prior to executing QB the first time. The reasoning was that this approach would possibly avoid the crash that occurs when QB tries to display the IE warning pop-up. Changing the IE security options works perfectly. There is no longer a crash on QB 2007 start-up and QB appears to be functioning normally. I can't know if this procedure will resolve all of the MSVCR80.dll related problems, but it appears to be the answer to a major start-up problem. Intuit needs to correct their code, but, in the interim, this is a good solution to the glitch. The testing has been done with Windows Server 2008, but the fix should be applicable to the various flavors of Vista.
September 3rd, 2007 4:50am

Believe it or not, it worked 1st time. It even activated properly.Steps I tookUsing Windows Web Server (I'm developing for that platform) on a HP NW9440Created a new user, rights = administratorInternet Explorer Protected Mode = offInternet explorer zone = Internet (not trusted sites)UAC (User Access Control) = offDEP, I left alone (on)Then installed. Runs fine.I know the Admin user is a risk but I don't use this machine to surf the dark corners of the internet.I've been using drivers for Vista Business & they seem ok, except for Bluetooth & a couple of others I really don't want. The MS drivers for LANs, WLANs and assorted thingys were fine. Don't fix wot ain't broken.For anyone who stumbled here via Google - for the Synaptics touchpad etc. use the sp37065 version of the driver. Uninstall the latest one (sp38455) - it sucks & you'll find the PS2 port stops working. It intermittently stops a USB mouse too. Noice.I wonder if Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite will work?As with any mad science experiment - get a big external drive & back up when you make some progress.Good luck[edit: update]If Quickbooks crashes on startup, it may be the security settings in Internet Explorer. "Sure I opened Internet Explorer click on Tools, Internet Options, Security Tab, Clicked on Custom Level and and I hit the reset button...I also have to run quickbooks with UAC turned off (User Account Control) which you can find in control panel."fromhttp://community.quickbooks.co.uk/discussion/index.php?showtopic=25169
May 26th, 2008 4:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics