Questions about network searching
I'm referring to the search capabilities built into Windows. I have a W2008R2 server with 3 extra drives loaded with data; documents and so on. These are individually shared and indexed on the server. What I'm trying to achieve is a simple way to search all 3 volumes from any remote workstation without having to wear out the mouse button, preferably from an index. Windows 7 allows me to search through Windows explorer but I have to perform a local search to get the "custom" option, then I have to choose network, sift through and check the shares off I want to search and sure, that works. What a pain to do every time. I can save this search but I don't want to save the keyword I was searching for. I suppose I'd want to save this 'location' but that doesn't seem possible. I've looked at the Indexing service but can't tell if this is being used to search from a remote location or how to easily search its index remotely. I've looked at Windows Search but that thing's a mystery. No management interface, no visible way to manage its databases... its trainning videos (Search 4.0) refer to options that don't seem to exist. It's so transparent it seems to have no options at all. What's the best solution for trying to achieve this? Any ideas? Thanks!
June 13th, 2010 3:00am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics