Question regarding folder sharing in Windows server 2008 foundation version
Hi everyone, I am having problem accessing shared folder from workstation. I can't figure out why, hopefully other users can help point out the mistake that I made or steps that missed out during the setup. This is a small LAN with 3 windows XP professional and 1 windows server 2008 foundation edition in a workgroup environment instead of domain environment. The purpose of this setup is just to share folders from the server so that the other 3 XP can access them. Setup that I made: - all XP Pro and Windows Server 2K8 Foundation are on the same workgroup: Workgroup and same subnet (XP can ping W2K8 using IP address and also UNC) - created local users on Windows Server 2K8 (only username and no password, changed the policy to accept no password) - created the same users on XPs (only username and no password) - added role on W2K8: file services, print and document services - inbound firewall on W2K8 is set to allow file and printer sharing - created 2 shared folders (folderA and folderB) on W2K8 and setup full permissions to users - user from XP can access "\\servername\" (list shared folders and shared printer) Problem: - if user from XP types "\\servername\folderA" and "\\servername\folderB", user gets this error "\\servername\folderA" is not accessible. you might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. I am not sure what else i am missing right now, maybe someone can spot the problem better and point me to the right direction to fix this issue. Thank you in advance, slean
September 29th, 2010 9:15pm

Hi again everyone, a friend of mine was able to point out my mistake on server permission setting. i forgot to setup Effective Permission level for the folders. To setup Effective Permission, right-click the shared folder select properties, click security tab. In security tab, click Advanced and go to Effective Permission tab. Click Select and enter the username in the box. this solved my problem. Thank you
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 29th, 2010 9:55pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics