Question bout joining a computer into a domain

Hey guys, 

First time poster here, I just got reprimanded by my IT director for "messing" up the upstairs boardroom training computer. When all I did downstairs was add a computer I am rebuilding back into our domain. He said that the computer name I created for the one I was rebuilding was already taken by the upstairs boardroom. and since I made this new computer's name the same as the boardroom I "messed" up the training computer upstairs.....

So my question is : Wouldn't my Windows 2008 SBSR2 domain, prevent me from joining that rebuilt computer into the domain if an existing exact computer name was already there in the first place? I am just confused how if the AD environment prevents same computer names from joining then how could I have messed up joining a domain..... 

April 30th, 2015 6:32pm

Hi

If you use an admin account, no, technically you can erase all account if you want too. To protect from such error is by deleguating control.

- Create a normal useraccount to add a machine in the domain.

- Please follow those step to deleguate control over the "computers' OU. (took from: https://robiulislam.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/delegate-non-admin-account-to-add-workstations-to-domain/)

Click Start, click Run, type dsa.msc, and then click OK.
  • In the task pane, expand the domain node.
  • Locate and right-click the Computers OU, and then click Delegate Control.
  • In the Delegation of Control Wizard, click Next.
  • Click Add to add a specific user or a specific group to the Selected users and groups list, and then click Next.
  • In the Tasks to Delegate page, click Create a custom task to delegate, and then click Next.
  • Click Only the following objects in the folder, and then from the list, click to select the Computer objects check box.
    Then, select the check boxes below the list, Create selected objects in this folder and Delete selected objects in this folder.

- Now, that account can add a machine to the computers OU.

- After that, you move the computer account to another OU, and by default that will protect the computer account, as the deleguated user can only add in that OU.

Thanks  

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2015 9:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics