Question about permission for Azure SQL database

I am trying to install a application with Azure SQL database as back end database. I setup a Azure SQL Server first, got a admin account dbadmin with password, tested it, I can use Management Studio to connect to the SQL server and run "create database testdb1" to create a new database.

but when I run the the application installation file, it throw out a error

Error - DB Creation Error: Invalid object name 'master.sys.master_files'.

I think the installation binary is doing something extra like read the sys.master_files, but in Azure SQL database, seems the customer owned dbadmin account doesn't have that permission:

If I run "select * from sys.master_files;" in management studio connected to the Azure SQL server's master database, I go a error: "Invalid object name 'sys.master_files';"

If I run "select * from sys.master_files;" in management studio connected to a local SQL server's master database as sa user, it shows all the database name.

Is there a way to get full permission on the Azure SQL server owned by us? If not, that seems to be big limitation and many applications will not be able to use Azure SQL server.

March 23rd, 2015 8:07pm

Hello Jack, 

Thanks for reaching out. There are two issues here:

1. In SQL Azure the server is a logical concept. Your databases are running on different SQL Server instances. Because As such you cannot use three part names like 'master.sys.master_files' to reference other databses.

2. The instances are fully managed by Microsoft and customers cannot have SA access to the instances. Physical information such as the file layout etc. is not exposed to the customers.

Thanks,

Jan

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 23rd, 2015 8:44pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics