Question about hardware for Windows 2008 R2
I was considering purchasing a new Dell Poweredge T110 II as a home/small business server. As the title shows I will be using Windows 2008 R2 standard server. but I already have this fairly new Dell XPS 7100 Studio PC, will I be served just as well to use this as my Windows 2008 server? or is it better to just go ahead use a true "server class" machine for this purpose?
May 3rd, 2012 11:33am

Actually it depends upon the scenario.. what exact role you will install and use that server for and how many users will be connected to it. The Dell XPS is made for the client operating system and DELL T310 has lot more flexibility and scalability related to hardware like YOU can increase ram to 16gb max, Hard drive redudancies and other lot more functionalities which DELL XPS can do.http://www.arabitpro.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 3rd, 2012 12:09pm

It will be mainly a file server but I will also be using the DNS, DHCP, WINS and Web services... about 6 users. The XPS has 16gb of memory and an Athlon X6 processor. My main concern that it will be as stable on the XPS as it would a server class machine aside from hard drive redundancies. I have a single drive that is constantly backed up externally.
May 3rd, 2012 12:22pm

then better to go with server model with redundancy for hard disks,powersupplies,etc.....because your organizations data should in the file server.also dhcp and dns are very important services.also why dont you think about server virtualization with hyper-v rather than installing all the services on one boxDarshana Jayathilake
May 3rd, 2012 12:33pm

Actually DELL XPX is client end machine and not certified for Windows 2008 Server, but still if you have 6 users you may use it.http://www.arabitpro.com
May 3rd, 2012 12:33pm

Actually it depends upon the scenario.. what exact role you will install and use that server for and how many users will be connected to it. The Dell XPS is made for the client operating system and DELL T310 has lot more flexibility and scalability related to hardware like YOU can increase ram to 16gb max, Hard drive redudancies and other lot more functionalities which DELL XPS can do.http://www.arabitpro.com
May 3rd, 2012 6:59pm

then better to go with server model with redundancy for hard disks,powersupplies,etc.....because your organizations data should in the file server.also dhcp and dns are very important services.also why dont you think about server virtualization with hyper-v rather than installing all the services on one boxDarshana Jayathilake
May 3rd, 2012 7:22pm

Even thought the XPS is not "certified", I was wondering how reliably it would run Windows 2008. I'm only using it for my server at home, not in a business environment. But, I ordered the T110 II anyway .... I would still like to know the answer to this question though.....Thanks!
May 7th, 2012 10:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics