Query suggestions SmallSearchInputBox

SmallSearchInputBox does not seem to show the same query suggestions(global query suggestions manually added through central admin are shown) as the search box in the search center. Furthermore, it shows different suggestions at the root site and at the sub-sites. Users end up seeing different query suggestions at different levels of the site hierarchy. I knew query suggestions were aggregated at result source and site-collections levels. But this behavior seems to suggest that query suggestions are stored at individual site level.

Also tried to use the SearchBoxScriptWebPart instead of the delegate control and different settings but that did not help either.

June 24th, 2015 6:04am

Small search box work differently at different level. When used in list it will search in list, when used in subsite it will search at subsite level

Search center always search across site collections at same time. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2015 6:18am

What you described is what translates to contextual search scopes from 2010. But you can also set the search center and custom results page at the site level. With this set, the search box uses the search center to handle your queries. However, my concern was not about queries, but query suggestions.
June 24th, 2015 6:49am

So when you change the search results setting it does not mean you change the query suggestions for that search box. 

Search results and Query suggestions are 2 different settings.

June 25th, 2015 2:05am

Hi Arin,

It seems there is a context scope for SharePoint Query Suggestions related per the following article, then the suggestions in context search box of a web site shohld be different from other web site, e.g. parent site, search center site, ect..

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nadeemis/archive/2012/12/20/manually-adding-search-query-suggestions-in-sharepoint-2013-using-powershell.aspx

http://sprider.org/2014/02/18/sharepoint-search-suggestions/

Thanks

Daniel

June 29th, 2015 8:14am

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the link to the blog. I understand my original understanding that query suggestions were aggregated at result source and site-collections levels was wrong. It is indeed what I suspected that it is not site-collection but at web level.

However, the rigidity of this scope is bit of a let down. I wanted automatic query suggestions for my customer to be seamless across the site and the search center (we are not looking at adding a huge list of suggestions at the search service application level). Apparently, this is not what is supposed to be.

I hope Microsoft does consider this in one of the future updates/products.

Thanks,

Arin

June 29th, 2015 9:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics