Query regards Session Host and Connection Broker Farms?

Hi All

Im in the process of planning an RDS 2012 R2 deployment, but am fairly new to some of the more recent architecture features.  I have a couple of querys. Im planning for a Connection Broker HA via DNS Round Robin (although I know MLB is better, but for now looking for answers for this scenario\approach).  There will also be a 2 or more Session Host Servers behind the CB HA. 

1. firstly, is it also necessary to create a separate Session Host Farm (along with its own DNS RR config)?  We may create a separate Session Host Farm in the future for other requirements \ reasons, and as I understand it currently, a Connection Broker HA can service multiple Session Host Farms?

2. Secondly the Web Access role will be installed on both Connection Brokers.  Is it necessary to also create distinct DNS RR entry's for these also (to allow for load balancing of the IE web site traffic)?

Any thoughts \ assistance much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Andrew

February 25th, 2015 1:44pm

Hi Andrew,

In Server 2012 R2 you group RDSH servers into session collections (old name farm).  Your connection broker(s) have the ability to serve multiple collections.

You need to balance the load of the initial connections to your brokers, which in your case you plan to use DNS RR.  Once your users make their initial connection to a broker the broker will redirect them to one of the RDSH servers as appropriate based on target collection, load, and whether or not there is an existing session.  You can use this balancing for RD Web Access as well since it will be on the brokers.

One key point is that users need to connect using an .rdp file that has the correct settings within it, which they will automatically do if they use RD Web Access and/or RemoteApp and Desktop Connections and/or Remote Resources.

There is normally no need to create a separate DNS FQDN for each collection, however, you may need to do this for special cases like when you need to support old client devices that don't understand at least RDP 8.0.

-TP

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 25th, 2015 2:15pm

Thanks TP

Regards creating a FQDN for a Collection, if the Users are connecting from Windows 7 (which I believe is RDP 6.0\6.1) would this require an FQDN to be created for the Collection? Presume so from the above.  Thank you for the above, has helped clarify Farm vs Collection confusion I had.

Kind Regards

Andrew

February 25th, 2015 3:42pm

Hi Andrew,

To use Windows 7 with Server 2012 R2 RDS, you should update it to RDP 8.1 (6.3.9600) mstsc.exe.  This will provide the best experience and make sure things work properly.

-TP

February 25th, 2015 3:50pm

Hi Andrew, 

Is there any update for your case?

Thanks.

February 26th, 2015 5:56am

I have one final query regards the DNS Round Robin config for the RDS Farm.  I believe these DNS RR Host entries should be for the RDS Connection Brokers (configured in HA mode).  However some of the MS Checklists for this config mentions including DNS Round-Robin entrys for the RDS Session Hosts also? 

My understanding is that the DNS RR entries are for the RDS Connection Brokers servicing client connections after which they hand-off the client connections to one of the RDS Session Hosts that are part of the associated 'Collection' the client is connecting to.

Are the DNS RR Host entries also required for the RDS Session Hosts?

Many thanks for thoughts \ feedback!

Andrew

March 5th, 2015 7:59am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics