Query on Files and Folders Sharing in AD Server 2012 R2 Standard Environment

Hi

Our organization uses Windows AD Server 2012 R2 Standard which acts as a Central File Server with Windows 8.1 and few Windows 7 clients. The default set up is like this: For a given user, a folder under his / her name is created on AD HDD and is shared only to him / her. Now, if there is a particular folder which the user intends to share with only few of the domain users, how to enable the sharing permission for that particular folder and restrict all other folders from shown for a given domain user (owner of the common folder)?

At present, if I share the folder created under the user, all other folder / files becomes accessible to others. I want to restrict that.

Please clarify.

Thanks in advance.

August 24th, 2015 12:47am

Hi Saravanan,

Please correct me if there is any misunderstanding:

Each user has a mapped folder say \\server\root\Mike and mapped to Drive X. You are going to help Mike to share a particular folder like \\server\root\Mike\friends to a group named Friends and would like to prevent others to see this folder, or users in Friends to see other folders inside \\server\root\Mike.

Could you simply share the folder locally (c:\Root\Mike\friends)? So that it will be a shared folder on your server with the path \\server\friends. Set proper NTFS permissions on that folder to only allow Friends to access. Make sure there is no other NTFS permissions on that folder which will show contents to others.

If the path has to be \\server\root\Mike\friends, set same permission on "friends" folder - you may need to disable inheritance first and check the folder "Mike" - make sure there is no other NTFS permissions on that folder which will show contents to others (sometimes by default we will give Authenticated Users - Modify permission on "Root" folder so that these mapped folder could be created. This will be inherited to the folder Mike and its subfolders). 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2015 10:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics