Query Results to file (filename.rpt need filename.csv)

In Management Studio there are options to send your query results to text, grid, or file. I would like to create a .csv file. But when I pick "results to file" it creates a .rpt file. If I then save the file as .csv it's not a csv file, it's binary.

How can I save the results of my query as a true .csv file?

July 3rd, 2008 1:27pm

Pick "results to grid" then then right-click on the grid and select "Save Results As..." This will save a CSV.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 3rd, 2008 1:54pm

Thank you.
July 3rd, 2008 2:16pm

Actually, it's still not a csv file. Still binary for some reason. I'm really confused as to why. If you try and open it with VI, for example you get a warning that it's binary. And lookint at it - it looks like a binary file. So, what is going on?

July 3rd, 2008 4:22pm

I can't speak for VI, but these are CSV files and they open fine in Notepad, EditPlus and Excel on multiple machines where I have tested it.

Does VI know how to handle Unicode files? I don't know if this is the problem, but it's worth a look...

July 3rd, 2008 4:26pm

Ok, thanks. I'll look into it.
July 3rd, 2008 5:06pm

Pick "results to grid" then then right-click on the grid and select "Save Results As..." This will save a CSV.

Actually, there is a problem with that if some values contain commas - the resulting CSV is not properly escaped. The RPT file is actually quite nice as it contains fixed-width columns. If you have Excel, a relatively easy way of converting the result to CSV is to open the RPT file in Excel. This will bring up the text import wizard and Excel would do a pretty good job at guessing the columns. Go through the wizard and then save the results as CSV.
  • Proposed as answer by xschen2000 10 hours 34 minutes ago
August 10th, 2011 8:06pm

HI KSTUS,

It's been good if you create a package that will take data from table and dumped into csv file.

Amit

Please mark as answer if helpful

http://fascinatingsql.wordpress.com/

August 16th, 2011 4:10pm

Why don't you use Database->Tasks->Export Data wizard and enter the source as your query and target as the csv file. I prefer this way of getting any data into the files than saving the query results.
  • Proposed as answer by V Karthik Friday, July 12, 2013 5:39 AM
July 11th, 2013 7:28pm

Using Excel to handle the RPT file as fixed-width column does the job to convert text to columns. I just need to manually check the column header in the import wizard.
This way is helpful when I had to export from SQL query output to a huge file which is too big to copy from SQL query grid and paste to Excel.
September 14th, 2015 4:36pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics