Query AD With No Linked Server

Is it possible to pull name & email from Active Directory using SSMS w/o a linked server connection?

And this would be using SQL 2008

August 28th, 2015 8:54am

Hello,

You can use the OPENDATASOURCE (Transact-SQL) function, here you can use a individual connection string.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 9:04am

Hello,

You can use the OPENDATASOURCE (Transact-SQL) function, here you can use a individual connection s

August 28th, 2015 9:18am

In MSDN you always have the Option to switch to any other available version, so yes, you can use it in SQL Server 2008

August 28th, 2015 9:35am

I tried this query

SELECT
FROM OPENROWSET('ADSDSOObject', '','SELECT cn, ADsPath FROM ''LDAP://DC=Fabricam,DC=com'' WHERE objectCategory=''group'' AND cn=''D*''')

which presents an error of 

Msg 7321, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
An error occurred while preparing the query "SELECT cn, ADsPath FROM 'LDAP://DC=Fabricam,DC=com' WHERE objectCategory='group' AND cn='D*'" for execution against OLE DB provider "ADSDSOObject" for linked server "(null)".

August 28th, 2015 9:51am

Yes, ad hoc queries have been enabled and I have permission to query AD (I am a domain admin)
August 28th, 2015 10:42am

Msg 7321, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
An error occurred while preparing the query "SELECT cn, ADsPath FROM 'LDAP://DC=Fabricam,DC=com' WHERE objectCategory='group' AND cn='D*'" for execution against OLE DB provider "ADSDSOObject" for linked server "(null)".

I received a similar issue with the "linked server "(null)"" error with a different provider.  To resolve it, I had to change the provider properties and enable "Allow inprocess".  Depending on your query, you may need to enable "Dynamic parameter" as well.
August 28th, 2015 11:16am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics