Publish cloud service fails from Visual Studio 2013 Update 4: Published Asset Entry for Image Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDi agnostics_europeall_manifest.xml not found.

I have a cloud service project with two roles (service and worker). In Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 when I choose "Publish..." from the "Solution Explorer",  it opens "Microsoft Azure Activity Log" and quickly terminates. Here the log:

9:43:47 AM - Applying Diagnostics extension.
9:44:09 AM - Published Asset Entry for Image Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDiagnostics_europeall_manifest.xml not found.

All works fine when uploading the package and updating from https://manage.windowsazure.com/. It only fails from within Visual Studio.

What can I do to get it working?

November 17th, 2014 9:02am

Hi Matthias,

Thank you for your post. 
We are currently researching on this and will revert back to you when we have more information.
Appreciate your patience.

Regards,
Malar.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 17th, 2014 3:59pm

Hi,

I try to deploy a simple cloud application to azure cloud service (VS 2013 Update 4), everything works fine. If this is a product issue, please share us how to reproduce this issue, it would be benefit for VS team to fix it. You could also create a clean template cloud application to test whether it is related to your VS environment. From my experience, the error message seems to tell you that the VS missing some file, I would suggest you reinstall or repair your VS, then try again.

Best Regards,

November 18th, 2014 6:16am

I am getting this error for the first time as well in a windows 8 virtual machine in both VS2013 and VS2015. I have tried deleting and recreating the cloud project and uninstalling and reinstalling the sdks but nothing seems to work. As long as diagnostics is enabled I cannot publish. Had to downgrade to SDK2.4 so I can stop wasting time on this.
January 11th, 2015 6:22pm

I have the same problem with our Azure project. Two web roles (service and worker). Just updated from SDK2.2 to SDK2.5 and Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 to Update 4. The main reason behind this was to move from log4net to WAD and in doing so, of course directly move to the new diagnostics version.

Now, I get the same error message in Visual Studio:

11:45:24 - Checking for Remote Desktop certificate...
11:45:25 - Applying Diagnostics extension.
11:45:45 - Published Asset Entry for Image Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDiagnostics_europeall_manifest.xml not found.

With my small testing project - also two roles (service and worker) - everything is fine. However, I'm looking for a solution to make by existing production service working.

Also the test project shows no Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDiagnostics_europeall_manifest.xml, but this is no problem - so what's the meaning of or solution to this error messages?

--

What I found so far:

I deployed the Azure project from the same development environment to another Azure test service: Deployment showed no errors and the service is running fine! So the problem is not with the source, the development environment, library dependencies etc.

Trying Azure cmdlets for PowerShell also work fine for the new service and fails for the production service with almost the same error message:

Following http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kwill/archive/2014/12/02/windows-azure-diagnostics-upgrading-from-azure-sdk-2-4-to-azure-sdk-2-5.aspx
I tried:

PS C:\> Set-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension -StorageContext $storageContext -DiagnosticsConfigurationPath $public_config -ServiceName $service_name -Slot 'Staging' -Role $role_name
VERBOSE: Setting PaaSDiagnostics configuration for MyWebRole.
Set-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension : BadRequest : Published Asset Entry for Image
Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDiagnostics_europeall_manifest.xml not found.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension -StorageContext $storageContext -Diagnostic ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension], CloudException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.CloudException,Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.
   Extensions.SetAzureServiceDiagnosticsExtensionCommand

The problem seems to be related to those service configuration parts in the cloud which are not replaced by a new deployment... So what are possible reasons or fixes for this behaviour?

Best regards,

Andreas

January 21st, 2015 11:20am

I have the same problem with our Azure project. Two web roles (service and worker). Just updated from SDK2.2 to SDK2.5 and Visual Studio 2013 Update 2 to Update 4. The main reason behind this was to move from log4net to WAD and in doing so, of course directly move to the new diagnostics version.

Now, I get the same error message in Visual Studio:

11:45:24 - Checking for Remote Desktop certificate...
11:45:25 - Applying Diagnostics extension.
11:45:45 - Published Asset Entry for Image Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDiagnostics_europeall_manifest.xml not found.

With my small testing project - also two roles (service and worker) - everything is fine. However, I'm looking for a solution to make by existing production service working.

Also the test project shows no Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDiagnostics_europeall_manifest.xml, but this is no problem - so what's the meaning of or solution to this error messages?

--

What I found so far:

I deployed the Azure project from the same development environment to another Azure test service: Deployment showed no errors and the service is running fine! So the problem is not with the source, the development environment, library dependencies etc.

Trying Azure cmdlets for PowerShell also work fine for the new service and fails for the production service with almost the same error message:

Following http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kwill/archive/2014/12/02/windows-azure-diagnostics-upgrading-from-azure-sdk-2-4-to-azure-sdk-2-5.aspx
I tried:

PS C:\> Set-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension -StorageContext $storageContext -DiagnosticsConfigurationPath $public_config -ServiceName $service_name -Slot 'Staging' -Role $role_name
VERBOSE: Setting PaaSDiagnostics configuration for MyWebRole.
Set-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension : BadRequest : Published Asset Entry for Image
Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDiagnostics_europeall_manifest.xml not found.
At line:1 char:1
+ Set-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension -StorageContext $storageContext -Diagnostic ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-AzureServiceDiagnosticsExtension], CloudException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.WindowsAzure.CloudException,Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.ServiceManagement.
   Extensions.SetAzureServiceDiagnosticsExtensionCommand

The problem seems to be related to those service configuration parts in the cloud which are not replaced by a new deployment... So what are possible reasons or fixes for this behaviour?

Best regards,

Andreas

January 21st, 2015 11:20am

As I described in my posting above, the problem is not Visual Studio or some other part of the development environment. Deployment from the same developing environment to new Azure service works fine. It has something todo with the already existing Azure service.

Reinstalling or repairing Visual Studio is not the answer to this problem!!!
[Perhaps MS will publish a newer version of its Azure cmdlets, but that's not today's story]

Comparing with Azure cmdlets Get-AzureService, I found that the new service has properties which the old one is missing:

ExtendedProperties      : {[ResourceGroup, myazureservice], [ResourceLocation, North Europe]}
Is this a hint?

Best regards,

Andreas

January 21st, 2015 3:28pm

As I described in my posting above, the problem is not Visual Studio or some other part of the development environment. Deployment from the same developing environment to new Azure service works fine. It has something todo with the already existing Azure service.

Reinstalling or repairing Visual Studio is not the answer to this problem!!!
[Perhaps MS will publish a newer version of its Azure cmdlets, but that's not today's story]

Comparing with Azure cmdlets Get-AzureService, I found that the new service has properties which the old one is missing:

ExtendedProperties      : {[ResourceGroup, myazureservice], [ResourceLocation, North Europe]}
Is this a hint?

Best regards,

Andreas

January 21st, 2015 3:28pm

I had the same exact  issue. To get around this issue I went into "Server Explorer" -> Azure ->Cloud Services->DC->Environment->Role and right click -> Enable diagnostic. This did some sort of deployment to my service, restarted the instances and then I was able to push up my new builds. Hope this helps.
May 12th, 2015 3:58pm

Hi Ryan, thank's for your reply. Not sure, what you mean with DC (probably not domain controller).

My Server Explorer in VisualStudio shows the following structure:

Azure->CloudServices->'MyService'->Production/Staging->WebRole/WorkerRole

Context menu on both of the roles shows 'Enable Diagnostics'. However, selecting this menu entry, the Microsoft Azure Activity Log in Visual Studio still says:

Adding Diagnostics extension to Role CloudServicesWebRole failed: Published Asset Entry for Image Microsoft.Azure.Diagnostics_PaaSDiagnostics_europeall_manifest.xml not found. Microsoft.Cct.StatusWindow.DispatchedStatusItemContainer 02.06.2015 13:34:40

Andreas Knpfel

June 2nd, 2015 7:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics