Proper way to use hard disks in server 2008
hi, iamplanning to deploy Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, 64-bit on an HP DL380 G5 server with 6x146GBSCSI hard disks. i would just like the comment of everyone on my two approaches:1. use all availablehard disksas one logical drive configured as RAID 5, or2. use the first two hard disksas logical drive one configured as RAID1+0 and the remaining hard disks as logical drive two configured as RAID 5my objective is to have redundancy/fail-overANDthe best performancei could get from the hard disks.i am leaning towards option 2 as RAID1+0 is faster thanRAID 5 already but i am still open to suggestions. appreciate any response.
July 8th, 2008 2:08pm

Option 2 makes a lot more sense to me.Even though you will get a lot more space out of option 1, but you willl get a lot more performance out of option 2 . www.infotechguyz.com - Server 2008, Exchange 2007 Tutorials
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 9th, 2008 8:21am

Maybe I'm missing something. If you're going to use RAID1+0, then you're striping a mirrored set which means you need at least 4 drives. RAID 5 needs at least three drives. So, option 2 doesn't work because you'd need at least 7 drives but you only have 6. Shawn
July 9th, 2008 11:58am

Hello JadeEmperor, According to my experience, I will prefer to Option 2. For the performance consideration, RAID1+0 is faster than RAID 5. You may use RAID1+0 logical driver to be as the system driver and the rest of the 4 hard-disk to be as a RAID-5 logical driver. With this kind of configuration, we can ensure redundancy/fail-over and the best performance. Hope it helps.Your potential. Our passion.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 9th, 2008 12:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics