Program required admin privilege
I've setup a domain controller and add some client PC under this domain. No client have admin privilege. They can browse internet, work with office application. Everything is OK. One program giving trouble. It requires admin privilege to run, it might write some thing in registry. But according to the management policy client user should not have the admin privilege. In this case how I can solve the situation from both end?
June 22nd, 2010 12:30am

you can download process monitor (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx) and find out as admin if/where the program accesses the registry and give the non admin users the right for that entry. without knowing the program not sure if that would be enough but worth a try
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 22nd, 2010 1:07am

Hello Shohelic, I don’t know a solution from the system side without coming in conflict with your management policy, but there is a really good article in the MSDN Magazine: Teach Your Apps To Play Nicely With Windows Vista User Account Control http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163486.aspx Best regards, HarryThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 22nd, 2010 1:25am

Thanks for your reply. I'll try according to your way and then I'll update this thread again.
June 22nd, 2010 1:31am

Dear FZB I have used the process monitor and it shows some registry path is accesing. Is it possible to give the privilege to this application to run as admin. But the the user will get the standard privilege. Thanks
June 22nd, 2010 2:26am

when you run "regedit.exe", you can try giving those specific nodes permissions for non admin users
June 22nd, 2010 8:57am

FZB said what I would like to suggest. As you can find out the specific keys it requests to access, you can assign permission to standard user for a test. There is no workaround to allow a program which requests admin permission to run in standard account, or it is useless to separate admin and non-admin account as they are working the same.Shaon Shan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com
June 22nd, 2010 9:45am

How to assign permission on a specific key of registry? Can you help me a bit detail.
June 22nd, 2010 7:43pm

Hello Shohelic, You could use regedt32 . Right-click the registry key, then click Permissions to open the dialog box. Best regards, Harry This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
June 22nd, 2010 8:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics