Program pushed via GP won't install on all computers

I have a batch file attached to a group policy that is supposed to install an .msi. For some reason, when I apply the GP to the OU I want and restart said computers, the program will only install on some (not all) of the computers in the OU. The MSI in question is located on a network share that is accessible by all computers. I created a log export for the GP, compared it to the installs that work and I noticed two things:

1) Failed to grab execution mutex. System error 258
2) MainEngineThread is returning 1618

It looks like the 1618 is due to an application already running. How can I fix my group policy (or batch file) to resolve this issue? I'm just starting to work with batch files and any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

August 25th, 2015 11:02pm

Group policy can install MSI files natively without using a batch file. I would review this link and possibly test using GPO without the batch file.  It seems like from your errors that the install is trying to run while another MSI is already running.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 2:41am

First thing to try is to run the msi locally on a failed machine, does this install? check event logs for a workstation that doesnt install it should gleen some info. 

August 26th, 2015 3:44am

Yes, if I go to the machine and run the batch file manually it will install fine.  I checked the install logs and saw that I was receiving the two errors in my original post.
August 26th, 2015 8:47am

I need the batch file because the install is a little weird and needs custom settings. 

Going off of the multiple MSI's...any idea how to modify a batch file so multiple computers don't try and run recursive msi's? It'd be good to know if the computers could see if the installer is in use, wait till it's done and then start the install so it doesn't fail with the mutex error?

August 26th, 2015 8:49am

As part of the MSI install, use the /log switch to generate a log file to say the %TEMP% directory. For info on MSIEXEC switches, run msiexec /?

Then for failed installs view the log file which reveals much more info than the return code. There could be many reasons for your error such as a bootstrapper launching a different process or the install time exceeding the computer startup time limit so it returns that error code.

To get to the root of the issue the MSI log file will help.

kr0me

August 26th, 2015 12:04pm

Thanks for the response. I did create a log and that's how I knew about execution mutex failure and the 1618 error. See below:

******* Action: 
           ******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (64:6C) [20:43:48:276]: Client-side and UI is none or basic: Running entire install on the server.
MSI (c) (64:6C) [20:43:51:276]: Failed to grab execution mutex. System error 258.
MSI (c) (64:6C) [20:43:51:282]: Cloaking enabled.
MSI (c) (64:6C) [20:43:51:282]: Attempting to enable all disabled privileges before calling Install on Server
MSI (c) (64:6C) [20:43:51:284]: Incrementing counter to disable shutdown. Counter after increment: 0
MSI (c) (64:6C) [20:43:51:285]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
MSI (c) (64:6C) [20:43:51:285]: MainEngineThread is returning 1618

August 26th, 2015 1:14pm

Can you post your batch file?
August 26th, 2015 2:36pm

sounds to me like a permissions problem. when you run it manually you are logged in so it probably requires the users profile to be active to install it or something like that. Also when you test it manually are you logged in as an administrator? Have you tried logging in as a standard domain user and then running the msi? Also in group policy there is a setting for wait for network and group policy processing..

also: have you got any delay set for processing group policy objects on the computers local policy.. I once was scratching my head wondering why my working printer script was not working via GPO but then I noticed after 15 minutes it suddenly executed and the printers appeared. Turned out to be some Windows 8.1 group policy delay setting which I hastily disabled.

August 26th, 2015 9:02pm

It's a pretty simple batch file:

REM Websense Cloud Endpoint 8.0.2076

:: Test if Websense is already installed
IF EXIST "%PROGRAMFILES%\Websense\Websense Endpoint\WEPDiag.exe" GOTO _end
:_skipcheck

msiexec /package "\\networkshare\Websense Cloud 8.0.2076\Websense Endpoint.msi" /passive /L*V C:\Windows\Temp\websenseinstall.log WSCONTEXT=our_unique_websense_code

August 26th, 2015 10:32pm

I don't think it's permissions related because some computers can download it fine and some can't, but they all have access to the share in question. I also have been able to successfully run the batch file from a user's account. I will check for the delay setting, thanks.
August 26th, 2015 10:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics