Profile not saved - Local or Domain User
Hi.Problem with a single Windows Server 2008 machine.Any changes to either by a local or domain user to their profile (e.g. desktop icons) are not saved.We are using local profiles and the appropriate folder is created underc:\users\.I can create local users but no changes in their profileare saved except documents created in the default folders.The only error is shown below.I have been unable to identify what ismissing so any help would be appreciated.ThanksLog Name: Application Source: Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service Date: 05/09/2008 18:26:43 Event ID: 1542 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: SYSTEM Computer: COLO-VM-TSSB01.trfs.org.uk Description: Windows cannot load classes registry file. DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"> <System> <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service" Guid="{89B1E9F0-5AFF-44A6-9B44-0A07A7CE5845}" EventSourceName="profsvc" /> <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1542</EventID> <Version>0</Version> <Level>2</Level> <Task>0</Task> <Opcode>0</Opcode> <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> <TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-09-05T17:26:43.000Z" /> <EventRecordID>1171</EventRecordID> <Correlation /> <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" /> <Channel>Application</Channel> <Computer>COLO-VM-TSSB01.trfs.org.uk</Computer> <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> </System> <EventData Name="EVENT_FAIL_LOAD_CLASSES_HIVE"> <Data Name="Error">The system cannot find the file specified. </Data> </EventData> </Event>Billy
September 6th, 2008 10:25am

Still looking forinformation on this error.ThanksBilly
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2008 10:32am

Hi, From your description, I understand you experience the modification of user profile either for domain user or local user can't be saved' issue. Based on my research, this might be caused by several factors. I list the common ones as following for your reference. Please check them one by one and let me know the result. 1)Some applications, logon scripts and services may have impact on the handle of user profile. For example, they may lock registry key to prevent user profile loading. Please perform the clean boot to remove 3rd party services and application to test the result: How to perform clean boot: ====================== A. Click Start | Run and type "msconfig" (no quotes) and press enter. B. Click services from the tab, check the check box of "Hide All Microsoft Service", and then click "Disable all" C. Click Startup from the tab, then click "Disable all" D. Click "OK" and follow the instructions to Restart Computer, after rebooting if you get a prompt dialog of System Configuration, please check the check box in the dialog and click "OK". 2) Please check if user profile has the proper permissions. This symbol might be due to the corruption of user profile file. Please renamed the profile to .OLD locally and logon with the user account to test the result. If you use a new-created user to logon to this problematic server, what is the result? 3) Do you configure Folder redirection or roaming profiles? If so, please check the following: 1. Do you use folder redirection to redirect folders into the roaming profile? If so, please understand this is not recommended as it can cause a profile corruption. Please remove folder redirection off the roaming profile and re-create the profile to test the result. 2. If you configure the roaming profile or mandatory profile, please temporarily disable it, logon to this sever using a new created user. Does this symbol still persist? Let me know the result.
September 11th, 2008 4:55am

Hi Morgan,Thanks for your advice, here are the results:1. Clean boot has no affect on the outcome.2. Same outcomewith both a new user and renaming the old profile.3. The accounts are all using local profiles with no folder redirection. Thereis no mandatory profile.As a temporary work around I have carried out the following. Disable the "User Profile Service". Reboot. Log on with local admin account. Remove the old profiles. Remove reference to the specific problematic profiles from registry at:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\ Log off Log on with the problematic accounts and make the necessary profile changes (desktop icons, IE homepage etc) Log off Log on with local admin account. Set "User profile Service"to startautomatically. Reboot Log back on as problematic account and changes have been saved. This is a work around only and the error message is still logged when the "User Profile Service" is running.I am now of the opinion that there is a problem with the registration of thisservice.Is there a way to re-register/reinstall the "user profile service".Thanks in advance.Billy Billy
September 12th, 2008 10:04am

Hi anyone,I'm still looking for advice about how to re-register/reinstall the "user profile service".ThanksBilly
September 17th, 2008 3:17pm

HiPlease check if the following tool are helpful to you:User Profile Hive Cleanup Servicehttp://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=1b286e6d-8912-4e18-b570-42470e2f3582&displaylang=en
September 19th, 2008 10:33am

Hi Morgan,Sorry for the delay in replying.Unfortunately UPH Cleanup does not run on Windows Server 2008 x64(or Vista x64).Any more suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks Billy
October 2nd, 2008 4:12pm

Hey Billy, I don't know if you have found a solution to this, but I was having the exact same issue on a Windows 2008 x64 server. In my particular case, the issue was that the domain user didn't have access to his own user folder on the machine. Navigate to the Users directory, right-click on the user folder in question and ensure that the intended users of the profile have the proper permissions on the folder. Good luck! Greg
June 2nd, 2010 5:50pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics