Production environment broken due to recent update to IIS module "URL Rewrite"

Hi there,

There is another person having the same issue over at: http://forums.iis.net/t/1224711.aspx?ARR3+installation+fails+using+WPI but i thought I'd ask the folks over here at MSDN Forums. Our production environment is completly broken at this point due to the recent update to URL Rewrite

The issue is that there was a recent update to the IIS module "URL Rewrite 2.0". We use "Application Request Routing 3.0" for our reverse proxy in our production environment. ARR 3.0 has a dependency on URL Rewrite 2.0. The newer version of URL Rewrite that now comes installed on Azure Web Roles is newer than the ARR 3.0 dependency which causes the ARR 3.0 installation to fail.

Our web role uses a startup task to install ARR 3.0. It looks like over the weekend our role was rebooted/recycled which caused our startup task to run. Our startup task then fails because it cannot install ARR due to the URL Rewrite dependency, which means that our server is unusable.

Looks like the newer version URL Rewrite is 7.1.1949.0, and the older working dependency version is 7.1.0871.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

April 20th, 2015 6:11pm

Hi,

This is a know issue with the latest ARR installer, the concerned teams are working to mitigate the issue and may take some time.
 You can follow the below workaround for this issue.

You need to update the OnStart and/or startup Script to with the following command right before the command to install ARR:
 msiexec /x {C498EF0D-85FF-46C5-9DDA-7543C7818754} /q /passive
 The ARR installer will install UrlRewrite if it's not already there so there's no downside (save for a few seconds of execution time).

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2015 6:55am

Hi,

This is a know issue with the latest ARR installer, the concerned teams are working to mitigate the issue and may take some time.
 You can follow the below workaround for this issue.

You need to update the OnStart and/or startup Script to with the following command right before the command to install ARR:
 msiexec /x {C498EF0D-85FF-46C5-9DDA-7543C7818754} /q /passive
 The ARR installer will install UrlRewrite if it's not already there so there's no downside (save for a few seconds of execution time).

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Nithin Rathnakar

April 21st, 2015 6:55am

Hi Nithin,

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear you have a work around for the mean time.

Any idea what the time frame is on the official fix and how we can be notified?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2015 11:32am

Hi Ian,

I have an update confirming that the Issue has been Resolved, You should not be facing any issues.

Do let us know if the issue persists.

Regards,

Nithin Rathnakar

April 22nd, 2015 1:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics