Processing of group policy failed because of lack of connectivity to a domain controller

Hi all-

I recently performed a migration from Window Server 2008 R2 Standard to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.  I performed the migration using the following article:  http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2014/02/21/deploying-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials-in-an-existing-active-directory-environment.aspx.

I was able to successfully migrate AD and DNS to the new server.  After doing so, I demoted the 2008 R2 server to a member server, and also uninstalled DNS and DHCP.  I installed and configured DNS and DHCP on the new 2012 R2 server.  Scope options on DHCP specify the new 2012 R2 server as the only DNS server.

Now, I am receiving the error specified in the subject on my Windows 7 Pro client PCs.  If I run an nslookup as follows, all appears to be correct.:

nslookup

server 192.168.20.6 (the new 2012 R2 server - by default, it comes up to my ISP's DNS, not the internal)

set type=all

Type in FQDN and hit Enter.

What's odd is while nslookup seems to behave, I am unable to ping the FQDN of the domain or DC.

Thoughts?

Thanks

September 8th, 2015 6:21pm

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

May I also ask what's specific the error from Windows 7 client? Could you please post it.

Could you ping netbios and Ip address?

Using a DNS server from an ISP in a client's TCP/IP configuration could also cause problems with conflicting internal and external namespaces.

You may need to verify DNS configuration in TCP/IP settings. Use the command ipconfig /all to check the related settings. And check if firewall blocks DNS queries

Please refer to the articles for more details.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc755882%28v=WS.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 9th, 2015 5:41am

Hi Mary-

No error is displayed on the Windows 7 client screen.  Rather, group policy does not process on the computer and the "processing of group policy failed because of lack of connectivity to a domain controller" error is in the System log on the client PC.

I am able to ping the DC by NetBIOS name, but am not able to ping the DC by FQDN.  Also, I am unable to ping the domain, i.e. company.local.

The client is configured to use the DC as it's DNS server and this is what shows for DNS server when running an ipconfig /all on the client.  It's only when running nslookup that the server parameter defaults to the ISP's DNS servers (i.e. 75.75.75.75).

All Windows firewalls are disabled on the network.

Suspect something is wrong with DNS on the DC, but have been unable to locate it.

Thanks

September 10th, 2015 1:05am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics