Processing Cube in BIDS Removes Roles

Greetings

Why is it when I do a full cube processing in BIDS the Roles are deleted? Is there a way to avoind this/

kam

December 9th, 2008 11:48pm

When you fully process the cube you are processing all properties, this includes roles. When you first deploy and process the cube the properties and meta-data is written to the instance of analysis services that are specified in the properties of the project/deployment. When you add roles to the cube when using the SQL Server Management Studio then the project remains unchanged, but the roles are added to the AS database. You have two options:

1. From the project include the roles in project and then deploy, this will include them inthe project and will persisted during deployment.

2. When making changes from BIDS, rather than opening the project file, which is most often stored locally, go to:

a. File>Open>Analysis Services Database

b. Browse to the analysis services instance and database and open

The second option will open the entire database, including the roles within it, in BIDS. This option can also create some inconsistency in change control. I would highly recommend implementing specific policies regarding this, possibly using source safe and checking the project in rather than directly accessing the production AS database.

Hope this helps.

• Proposed as answer by MickWags Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:42 PM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 10th, 2008 12:24am

The problem is not full processing the cube, it is the deployment that overwrites the database. If you really did not change anything in the project, then when BIDS asks you, if you want to build and deploy the project first, because the server content appears to be out of date, then answer no and do the processing.

You can keep your roles,if you deploy your changes using theanalysis services deployment wizard.

Using the Analysis Services Deployment Wizard

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms176121.aspx

AMB

December 10th, 2008 12:27am

I gleaned from another question that some of the issue appears to be with the type of group assigned to the role. Using an AD group resulted in loss of the role when processing the cube. If a local (sql server) group was assigned to the role (and users assigned to the local group), the role remained after processing. The original question had applied to SQL Server 2005 but I was getting it in 2008R2 till I used a local group.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2015 12:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics