Processes
If you have 120-140 process running on a DC/File Server/DNS/DHCP, is that considered to be to many? I dont see a performance hit by watching resource monitor, nor in the connection. Between all of the other apps and the hogs -Antivirus Mgmt,Backup Exec,WathcGuard Central Server- should I be concerned? Thanks
June 14th, 2011 6:49pm

As long as the performance is acceptable, I don't see a need to be concerned. Typically, I see less than 70 processes on a 2008 R2 domain controller. In the mid-60's or lower is a good target. To reach that number, you need to segment out the roles and services though. Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2011 7:04pm

Hi, You may perform a test in Clean Boot to determine if these processes are from third party. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article: How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 If the performance is not acceptable, you may disable some unnecessary third party software. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 15th, 2011 2:13am

They are from a third party. Between HP's Server Software, Antivirus Mgmnt, Backup Exec, WatchGuard Server Center(whichh is a real big hog-28 processess alone), these are what show up in processes. Didnt know if I needed to be concerned or not, I know when you start getting above 80 on a desktop, things change dramatically. With the amount of memory(100g's) and two quad core processors, I am hoping that this will be fine. Thought I would ask for advice though. Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 15th, 2011 9:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics