Problems with smtp configuration in task scheduler win2k8
I use win2k8 server and like to have a scheduled task which creates a backup for some of the files and sends an email every day. Creating the backup is not a problem at all, it runs without an issue I can not send an email though. Our SMTP server is within the corporate network so I just refer it as "oursmtpserver" (no quotes of course). Port is 25 so I guess no need to specifiy. Task took ages to run and then fail. If I use bmail and refering the SMTP server as "oursmtpserver" than it works fine without an issue. Actually I wrote a php script as well and it can send an email without an issue. The SMTP server requires NO authentication at all. Please let me know what should I write to the SMTP field of the task. I have tried "oursmtpserver", "smtp.oursmtpserver", "oursmtpserver@domain.com" etc thx
November 9th, 2010 5:39am

The correct format should be full DNS, generally. Try servername.domainname.extension (for instance, mail.business.local or smtp.myserver.com), or if all fails try the IP address. If none work then is the script even capable of sending mail like bmail/php?New York Tech
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 9th, 2010 7:00am

I have pinged the server, and by the answer to ping I got the full DNS which is: oursmtpserver.company.net By adding this to the SMTP field of the scheduled tasks it still does NOT send me the message. IP still the same, NO email sent. Bmail can send an email without any issues just using "oursmtpserver"
November 9th, 2010 12:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics