Problems with SQL Server 2012 connection

Hi,

I have a virtual machine in HyperView where is installed SQL Server 2012 SP2 (one stand allone instance) and Windows Server 2012, this machine is part of a domain.

I have another virtual machine with Windows 7 Enterprise, where i have installed SSMS 2012 SP2, this machine is not part of any domain.

The problem is: in SSMS when i try to connect to the SQL Server, the connection to the server is established but in object explorer the server remains in pending loading informations(databases, security, etc..) and after 1-2 minutes this message is returned: The specified network name is no longer available.

I`ve tried also from SqlCmd, PowerShell or a .udl file but the same error appears.

In SSMS if i open a new query and run for example Select GetDate() or Select @@ServerName everything is ok, but if i try to Select * from sys.databases or other statement (dbcc, exec procedures, etc..) the error from above is returned, same behavior from SqlCmd and PowerShell.

The connection i make is with the sa account, i`ve tried with another sql login (sysadmin) same results...i`ve tried with the ip server, the name of the server (i`ve added in the host file), with port 1433(sql server is configured with the default port) in connection but no luck.

After this we created another machine with same OS same specification, in the same subnet, i have installed SSMS 2012 and for the first time when i try to connect it worked, but after i have restarted the machine the behavior appears...

If i restart the SQL Server for a period of time i can connect and do everything in SSMS from those machines, but just for a few hours, after this period the same error appers, in SQL Server log no error appers.

If someone has some suggestions, or some ideas to test or to debug this behavior i would appreciate!

Thanks.

August 24th, 2015 2:50pm

Hello,

When you ping (using t) from the domain computer to the SQL Server computer, do you see big delays or packets been dropped?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2015 3:45pm

Hi,

I`ve tried ping from the machines to the server and from server to the machines, not even a request timed out or a delayed package, everything seems normal.

I forgot to mention that any other connection from a machine that is in the same domain or from a machine that is from a trusted domain works perfectly...

Thanks.

August 24th, 2015 5:00pm

This seems like a networking problem. I would expect that you would see the same malfunction if you connect to the server with Remote Desktop. SQL server is only the victim here.

This is not the forum to ask for resolution, but if I am to make a guess, I would suspect an IP-address clash. That is, two servers claim the same IP-address,

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 24th, 2015 5:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics