Problems saving to network
Long story here but I want to make sure everything is covered. This is a school network with 700 computers about 1500 clients. A while back (over Christmas beak) I was messing with Group Policies. I made a student GP where they were basically blocked from alot of stuff such as command prompt, changing settings, control panel ect. That went into affect over Christmas break no problem. Also tied in with that GP was a redirect folder command. Right now we have a server for the HighSchool with every student having a folder located on that server. In the GP I had it make everyone a folder on that server that logged onto the network and redirect their "My Documents" and "Desktop" there. It never worked. The other day my boss uncompressed the server folder where all of these were suppose to be stored and then the folder redirection started working. However something went wrong. I don't know if it is related to the above paragraph at all or not. When a student or administrator (doesn't matter) tries to save a document straight to the students old folder (Mapped network share in the students folder before the redirection worked) it gives this error: There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost. If one saves it to the "My Documents or Desktop" it saves it but then the document is blank and the size of the document is 0KB I have tried uninstalling KB980232 and nothing changed after the restart. I also uninstalled Office 2007 and upgraded to 2010. These computers are running Windows 7. The server is 2003. Doesn't do this on other computers, just in one lab Thanks, Jkrato
April 12th, 2011 2:46pm

Hi Jkrato, Please check redirection root folder rights, user folder rights, folder share rights. Security Considerations when Configuring Folder Redirection http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc775853(WS.10).aspx The redirection share folder is pre-created or created by GP? Do you use offline files for folder redirection? Please check below articles include best practices. User Data and Settings Management http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781516(WS.10).aspx Regards, Rick Tan
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 13th, 2011 4:50am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics