Problems on service .NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86
Windows server 2003 SP2, today installing many windows updates, I noticed that 2 PC have this errors in application event log: Eventid: 1103 ".NET Runtime Optimization Service (clr_optimization_v2.0.50727_32) - Tried to start a service that wasn't the latest version of CLR Optimization service. Will shutdown" I found this similar problem on web 1. Uninstall update KB976569 manually through Add/Remove programs. 2. Download KB974417 for your platform and install it. 3. Re-install KB976569 but I hadn't KB976569so I tried to download and install it. The problem apparently went away ... but checking in services.msc console, I noticed that update KB976569, modify the service startup type to MANUAL. Is it correct ? What can I check now ? Thanks.
August 9th, 2010 12:39pm

Hi, As you mentioned that “I noticed that update KB976569, modify the service startup type to MANUAL”, so I would like to know which service had been set to MANUAL? By the way, did you get any other issue after you perform the suggestion in the link you provided? Best Regards, Vincent Hu
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 11th, 2010 10:15am

Hi Vincent, the service set to manual from update KB976569 is: .NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86 [C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe] If I try to start it, I get this error Trying to install the update KB974417 result into "None of the products that are addressed by this software update are installed on this computer. Click Cancel to exit setup." so I can't install it. Since the server is a web server, should I be concerned about this service not running ? If yes, how can I do to make it run ? I have to add that during updates install, also framework 4 was installed. Thanks, regards.
August 11th, 2010 10:42am

I have the same problem. Today I installed the August updates on some machines (Windows XP, Window Server 2003 X86, Windows Server 2003 X64). I can see the same error in Event Log when reboot the machines.
August 11th, 2010 11:03am

I have had the same issues that you are describing. Im working on trying to find resolution as well. I got the same error that there were no products installed as well when i tried to run the fix from the web.
August 12th, 2010 8:24pm

Unfortunately the problem is well established in many pc of our organization. It seems related to recent windows update but I don't know which one. Did someone solve this issue ?
August 25th, 2010 3:53pm

Just from my observation (and I could be completely wrong here since no confirmation or feedback from microsoft). Did you install .Net 4.0? (I installed 4.0 and already had 1.0 and 2.0 on my server machine) Looking at the Services, I notice a new service : Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319_X86 The service in .NET Runtime Optimization Service v2.0.50727_X86 and the service identified above: use the mscorsvw.exe file in the executable path. From the event log and clicking the ...microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp (listed in the description of Event properties) the Offending File Name is mscoree.dll. If I understand correctly, mscorsvw utililze the mscoree file. The place where the mscoree.dll file is listed is in the c:\Windows\System32 folder. Check the properties of this file and check the version. The Version would be 2.0.5xxxx for the .Net Runtime v2.0.50727 otherwise you may see 4.031106.0 for the other version. With the .NET 4.0 installation, it seems the Services for the .NET Runtime Optimization is not needed anymore, hence it is set to Manual. Therefore the Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30.19_X86 would be the latest and current optimization which is set to Automatic. I am guessing this new service is to be used in place of the previous service that still exist in the services list. I hope this provides some observation to assist you and any others that run across your question. Basically, I think this is not an issue other than the annoyance of the Error message from the Event log and trying to run .NET Runtime Optimization with failure. I am doing ok with both .NET version on my server and apps/web using both .NET framework seem to be behaving well. Thanks, JeremyDeaf
September 1st, 2010 10:58pm

Jeremy, We're getting these too. seems to have started after installing .Net 4, or a recent round of updates... The only reason for my post is so I can start getting alerts on the thread. Hoping for a efficacious resolution, Mark
September 2nd, 2010 5:26pm

ef·fi·ca·cious /efikSHs/ Adjective: Successful in producing a desired or intended result; effective. More » Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary
November 3rd, 2010 11:45am

NDP20SP2-KB2418241-x86.exe fixed it for me... BADA BING
November 3rd, 2010 12:30pm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2418241 read the gotchas
November 3rd, 2010 12:43pm

@http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2431208/ This issue occurs because, when the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is installed, certain components are locked or are being used until the system is restarted. These components cannot be updated until the system is restarted. Because of this, in the scenario described in the Symptoms section, the version of the shim (mscoree.dll) is the Microsoft .NET Framework version 3.5 SP1 or earlier. The installation of the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 deploys certain settings which prevent the older shim from working correctly until the shim is updated after the system is restarted. In this scenario, if you try to install another update for the Microsoft .NET Framework while the restart is pending, the update will try to use a Global Assembly Cache (GAC) deployment for the files in the update. This GAC operation requires the shim. However, because the shim is in an inconsistent state pending a restart, the GAC operation will fail. This causes the update to fail.
November 3rd, 2010 12:50pm

Just Fixit! tool... http://download.microsoft.com/download/D/9/E/D9E4DAED-72DC-44AE-838C-3A544FF9BFD1/MicrosoftFixit50509.msi Stebner Verifier tool also helps http://blogs.msdn.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Components-PostAttachments/00-08-99-90-04/netfx_5F00_setupverifier_5F00_new.zip
November 3rd, 2010 2:41pm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2290390 Fixes it.
November 3rd, 2010 2:42pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics