Problems live migrating some VMs between nodes - 2012 R2 Cluster

Today we migrated from a old 2008 R2 cluster to a new 2012 R2 cluster, we are having problems with live migration of selected VMs between the 2 nodes currently in the cluster.

When we attempt this we see the following error in failover cluster manager

Live migration of 'SCVMM RC-LYNC-MON' failed.

Virtual machine migration operation for 'RC-LYNC-MON' failed at migration source 'RC-HYPERV-4'. (Virtual machine ID D3E6F2DF-A25B-459B-944D-A35979963B92)

The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to establish a connection for a Virtual Machine migration with host 'RC-HYPERV-5': General access denied error (0x80070005).

The Virtual Machine Management Service failed to establish a connection for a Virtual Machine migration because the destination host rejected the request: General access denied error (0x80070005).

the following in the is seen on the destination node:

The Virtual Machine Management Service denied a request for a Virtual Machine migration at the destination host: General access denied error (0x80070005).

The Virtual Machine Management Service blocked a connection request for a Virtual Machine migration from client address '192.168.4.6': General access denied error (0x80070005).

I've read things about permissions but am unsure what exactly I am looking at and where I should be looking.

For example, the ACL on this folder C:\ClusterStorage\Volume1\RC-LYNC-MON\Virtual Machines\D3E6F2DF-A25B-459B-944D-A35979963B92 is missing RC-HYPERV-5$ as an entry.  Other VMs that are migrating fine have this entry.

All VMs reside on a CSV, but I don't want to go altering permissions in case I make the situation worse!

Can anybody suggest some things to try?

April 8th, 2014 5:16pm

Hi,

Run the cluster validation, do you see any errors?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 9th, 2014 4:43am

No errors that look obviously related.  A warning about the processor in one of the nodes being different, but I already knew that.

The only errors I have are those posted above.

April 9th, 2014 6:58am

Hi,

please run "gpupdate /force" on all Cluster 2012 R2 nodes. Then try live migration again.

If live migration still does not work try this:
http://ashrafquality.blogspot.de/2013/01/live-migration-problem-general-access.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2249906/en-us

Hope that helps

Regards

Sebastian

April 10th, 2014 6:01am

Hi,

The 0x80070005 error typical caused by the permission issue and I dont find out the similar issue, you can try to disable all your AV soft then try again or you can refer the following third party article to try the next troubleshooting step:

Live migration problem: General access denied error (0x80070005) windows server 2012

http://ashrafquality.blogspot.com/2013/01/live-migration-problem-general-access.html

Hope this helps.

April 11th, 2014 3:06am

"A warning about the processor in one of the nodes being different, but I already knew that"

Live Migration will not work between nodes that have different processors unless you have specified in the processor settings of the virtual machine that the VM is to run in processor compatibility mode.

April 12th, 2014 2:09pm

Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

April 15th, 2014 1:26am

Is this happening?
April 15th, 2014 1:27am

This just happened to me, as well, and sure enough - the gpupdate /force on all nodes worked a treat.  Anyone have any idea WHY that worked?  Is something out of sync, and gpupdate is forcing a resync?  Is this "normal" behavior?  Should I be scheduling a gpupdate /force job on my nodes every day/week/random period?

In other words, any details on this?

-John

June 19th, 2014 5:33pm

Hi John,

check this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2779204/de

Regards

Sebastian

June 20th, 2014 5:29am

Not to dredge up an old thread, but this is at the top of the Google results for this specific error. I wanted to put down my experience in case it helps anyone in the future. 

After banging my head against a wall all night after migrating a 2008r2 cluster to 2012r2, i ran into this error when trying to migrate certain VMs. Some VMs would live migrate just fine. Others refused with the above message. After trying everything i could find on Google, i finally just said F' it and shut all the VMs down and rebooted all the hosts. (Drastic, i know. Luckily i was still within my maintenance window) This resolved the errors for me. I can now migrate any VM to any host. No issues. No idea what happened, but i hope this helps someone else in the same boat. 

September 4th, 2015 2:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics